ID schools in Sweden, Canada or Australia?

Anyone know of schools offering a Bachelors/Undergrad degree in ID in those countries,
with the overall course leaning more towards engineering rather than pure design,
and with a course structure that doesn’t rush the development of skills (CAD, sketching, modelmaking, etc.) into just one semester?

Also, they must include training in atleast one industry-standard surfacing application
(Alias/CATIA/NX/ICEM…although I don’t think any schools anywhere in the world teach the latter three).
I can, uh, ‘use’ all (except for ICEM) of the aforementioned packages to some extent;
but I suck at everything except Rhino and ZBrush (although I’m making some progress with CATIA).

In Canada there are a few that i know of

1. Humber - in Toronto
  2. Carleton - Ottawa

I think there is also on in BC but im not sure.

In Canada the only one that I know of that focuses on Engineering is Carleton University. In the past they’ve offered Statics/Dynamics ‘Engineering’ courses as part of their curriculum but was phased out later on. They put a lot of emphasis on DFM and materials as well.

I wouldn’t base my decision of what school to enroll on the type of CAD they offer. Most will offer Pro/E, Solidworks because that’s what the industry uses (unless you plan on designing cars, planes and ships).

Yes…I do plan on doing transport/automotive design (hence the reason why I specifically mentioned CAD packages with strong surfacing capabilities). I have no trouble in using Solidworks, and I’m somewhat competent in using Pro/E and Inventor.

I know Monash in Australia have an Alias studio, and I hear that it’s the only one of it’s kind in any Australian uni.

i am about to apply for Monash, i think it is the best ID uni in Australia, but i don’t think Australia is a good place for finding jobs

Do you want to learn design or learn how to model. IMO if you’re serious in wanting to learn modeling to that degree you may look into tech school vs design school. Learning a design-aided program isn’t the same as learning design; both have advantage and disadvantage over the other. Also any college with “art” in the name will probably be less engineer based, FYI, it should help narrow down your choice.

It’s up to the student to pursue any skillset. If you do choose a college that only requires the basics of CAD in 1 semester, that doesn’t mean you can’t improve your skills. Keep using the programs on all your projects even if it’s not required. Don’t let requirements or lack of requirements dictate what you want to learn in any college you decide to go.

What I’m looking for is a course that prioritises the teaching of ‘skills’ as much as teaching design.

I’m currently studying Architectural Design at an uni I do not wish to name;
and I don’t quite like how the course is designed so that we, the students, are taught these ‘skills’ (via dedicated units) only upto the point where we can complete the assignments given to us in the main studio unit.

Heck, we weren’t even taught Photoshop/Illustrator/rendering to the same level in the 1.5 years I’ve been studying here, than what the ID/VisComm students are taught in their first semester!
Needless to say, I feel a bit robbed of my money.

Tech school vs university, both can teach the same computer program. Ask a web developer and a graphic designer to make a website. The developer’s code will most likely be clean and load faster compared to the designer but aesthetics may be dry, but the designer’s aesthetics may be cleaner with bad coding and high load times. Which is better, depends.

If you know the basics, it will be up to you to pursue it to the degree you want. It’s the school’s responsibility to open the doors to various skills, it’s your responsibility which skills to pursue further. One can always take adult classes on specific CAD programs outside their required academic program. Or tons of free internet tutorials to make anyone an expert on any program if they wanted to. It’s always greener on the other side, there’s no perfect college that will suit everyone’s personal requirements