ID designer vs UX/user experience designer

Hi, this might be a naive question for me to ask, but I was wondering what the difference is between an “Industrial Designer” and an “Ux/User Experience Designer.” Or is a UX designer just a sub catergory under Industrial Design? How does one become a “User Experience Designer”?
Thanks!

User Experience is something you can have with all sorts of artifacts, whether they are physical (the domain of Industrial Designers) or virtual (Information Design, Service Design).

So, to answer your question:

UxD is pretty important for any design branch where people/users matter. Probably becoming a good UX Designer depends on your understanding of User Centered Design methods and Psychology, which can be applied to any sort of service, as I’ve mentioned.

I study Information Design with a focus on UID; that’s why our “flavour” of UX was more about the virtual side of the artifact coin. Nevertheless, I think Industrial Designers can/should (of course!) be pretty much into UX; since designing valuable products is also about keeping the user’s needs in mind.

Did my answer help you out?

take care,
zydake

reBang™ was asking me to specify how one becomes a UX Designer. Well I probably can only post my opinion, not something really “big and official”. So here I go again.

I argued that User Experience is something you can have with all types of products and services, hence it is not constrained to (but included in) several design areas (Industrial Design, Information Design, Service Design). If you want to design a User Experience, than you will have to work user centered. Alas, you have to learn about User Centered Design Methods. Since I’m from Austria/Europe I only know about our local facilities, but I guess you can learn about UCD pretty much at every good Design University.

Methods you should learn about: Usability Testing, Creating Personas and Scenarios, Moderating Focus Groups, Card Sorting, Interviews, Cultural Probes… but most importantly, you should always work using an Iterative Developement Cycle → Analyze Situation, Designing new Prototype, Implement Prototype, User Testing → back to Analyzing the Situation.

Of course as UX Designer you should always try to learn more about a specific field of design.