ID at Purdue?

Anyone heard about ID program ın PURDUE? Any info would be welcome… And How does it compare to the ID program in Un Ill Urbana Champaign

Hi.

I’ve worked with some people from both Purdue and UIUC. I worked with someone from Purdue who I believe had a master’s - so I was kind of disappointed with the level of thinking and technical skills of sketching, rendering, etc.

I worked with someone who went to UIUC and he worked most in SolidWorks and ProE. But he seemed to have a nice well-rounded attitude.

If you are looking in the midwest (like I did) for ID schools - let me suggest a few more. By the way, I like your interest in public schools - they offer so much more in the way of a college education compared to an art school.

University of Cincinnati, Cleveland Institute of Art are the two strongest Ohio schools. In Michigan, check out CCS (College for Creative Studies). Those are my top suggestions.

I am just about to graduate from the ID program at Purdue. I can honestly say that it has grown and improved SO MUCH during the last four years- and continues to. You must go through a sophomore portfolio review in which they accept only 15 or 16 students to continue - tough but necessary. Most of my best friends were people from my “ID Family” at Purdue. It’s very focused on problem solving and designing for people. There is one automotive design class offered, but the program is mainly product-intensive. We do lots of competitions as well, which is great for getting your name out there. The current graduate students also are extremely talented, and bring a lot to the program.

Check out some of this year’s graduates work:
www.coroflot.com/grossman
www.coroflot.com/lightbody
www.coroflot.com/harworth

In my experience with public schools/univs… just like anywhere… you will get what you put in. Purdue is a good engineering school… and is a lot of fun. I had a few friends who went there… good times. Big univs make you take a ton of core curriculum classes which you would be able skip in art/design schools. I enjoyed the classes, others did not.

lots of lesser known programs use competitions to get themselves on the map (think SCAD and Bridgport a few years ago) - more established programs get paid for student work (industry sponsored projects).

Ultimately, I think both are equal as far as learning experiences go, the difference is internships and co-ops. Both can generate conections to industries, but if you are interested in a consultancy work go to a more established school.

UC provides the best acess to real work around…