ID at Princeton just a rumor?

I had heard that Princeton was developing an ID program to be unveiled in 2006 (when I would start school). Since hearing the rumor, I’ve gotten no more information. The Princeton site is difficult to navigate, but I don’t see anything that would confirm or deny.

So— is it just a rumor, or am I allowed to get my hopes up?

Even if it is true I doubt it will be worth the money to go there. After all it’s not like they would know something that any of the other schools wouldn’t.

Save your money and get a business degree somewhere else, you’ll make more money, have a better bet at actually getting a job, and then you can laugh when you get assigned to the marketing department of some major consumer products company and have an entire department of designers working under you, and oh yeah - you still get to make all of the design decisions.

mm, whats up with all of the discouragment BS, a little disapointing. What’s up man, you sour about something? The experience mm talked about is not the way it is everywhere.

On your question, I would be hesitant to go to the first year of program, you’ll be getting the beta version of their education in a way. They will be working the kinks out on you.

That said, I would apply if you can, as well as applying to several other programs of course. Do your homework. Visit the schools. Talk to students and alumni (at the other programs), and make an educated decision. In this case you are the consumer, these people will be working for you to help you to learn, do your best to find the right fit.

I’m not surprised their site doesn’t have any info, they don’t really have a program yet. You can however call the school up and get the number for the Dean in charge of thawt department. Give hime a ring and interview him to find out the philosophy of the program, where they are hiring their instructors from, how they want to grow the department and so on. Princeton is a “name brand” school, they will most likely rely on that to attract students, but doing your homework may save you a lot of difficulties latter and make a good impression on the admissions office at the same time.

Good luck.

Yeah I’m pretty sour on aspects of the industry as a whole right now but thats a totally different story, i.e. too many friends losing jobs and getting shafted.

I mostly just wish that we could improve the schools that are already out there, producing bad designers, before schools start jumping onto the “design will save business” bandwagon. It just seems like a huge waste of money to start another ID program, especially at an Ivy League school.

I assume that they are trying to follow suit with Stanford’s D-School, but that program is admittedly more about teaching current executives to be more creative than it is about creating well-rounded designers. If thats the case then I really don’t see the use in it.

If someone is really passionate about design I still say go for it. There are a lot of really good, established programs out there that will actually teach you something. University of Cincinnati DAAP with it’s co-op program is a great one.

Thanks for the advice, I’m pretty seriously concidering Cincinnati right now, but my ego would love to go to Princeton. I guess that’s not a very good reason to pick a school, though :stuck_out_tongue:.

UC is the hotness right now. While your ego would like to have Princeton on your resume, realize it would get like zero respect from most design firms and inhouse studio directors. The cache would backfire on you within design circles.

i live in princeton and i’ve even talked to them about ID - they dont staff anyone with any ID experience, the closest is a single professor that is an expert on bridges and perhaps did some ID in the past. i am pretty connected there and i’ve never heard a thing. i doubt they’d hire/design/open a full program in 1 year

and yes YO you are right. i can’t count the number of wide eyes i see (per day!) when they set their sight on those lovely stone towers… i find it kind of retarded to make a decision based on a name.

You’re picking the program, not necessarily the university (unless you plan to do a double major, or take advantage of the university at large in some other way). Some of the strongest programs aren’t at the most prestigous schools (UC is a case in point). Plus, a brand new program always goes through some growing pains at the very beginning. It may not earn a reputation for quite a while. Why deal with a degree with little or no industry credibility, right at the beginning of your career?