I need wood

I need a good sized piece of nice wood. Any suggestions as to a good resource to look at and/ or purchase such a thing would be a life saver. To me more exact about 58.25" x 12" x 9~12" Thanks

There should be a few sizable lumber mills in your area that could help you find something. But that is going to set you back a serious amount of money. Several hundred at the minimum as you just don’t find blocks of wood that size anymore. You might have to glue up several smaller pieces.

Call these two places. Both in Canfield. I used to use them when I lived up there.

Baird Brothers 800-732-1697

Bernard-Daniels 330-533-2211

There is also a lumber mill in North Jackson, can’t remember the name though. Let you fingers do the walking.

Cheers

Thanks, I’ll look at them. I’m new around here and was only finding basic lumber yards on google.

simon, you don’t need “wood”, you need timber.

It’s called the Yellow Pages… use it.

I need a good sized piece of nice wood.

Define, “nice”. Nice, as in rosewood, or phillipine mahogany … or nice, as in free for the asking?

And just so we can clear the air early, my wife would too… … :open_mouth:

I’ve used these guys before: http://www.gilmerwood.com/
Real helpful, they post pictures of every unique piece of wood they sell…and if memory serves, they ship for free.

-cfgb.

If I wanted to talk to all the white trash bottom rungers’ around here that sell pine and cherry I would have kept calling them and being asked how big the house I was heating was. Since I’m not burning the wood the to heat a house, and I hate talking to mouth breathing idiots I stopped calling them and asked online. Funny how that works isn’t it?

To everybody else who helped me, thank you very much. I hope to have some pics of this piece up soon.

The length, 60", is easy. The width, 12", will limit your choices. The thickness, 9-12", is impossible, unless you laminate several pieces of wood together or the wood is no longer “nice”. The thickest wood milled is generally 16/4, or a little under 4". Wood thicker than that will check (splitting perpendicular to the grain) because the outside of the wood will dry faster than the inside of the wood. The difference in shrink rates creates the stress that causes the checking.

Also, there a very few choices of 16/4 wood at a 12" width. I think your best bet would be to laminate 5-6 pieces of 8/4.

Edit: I forgot to add, search “hardwood”. It keeps you away from the 2x4 riff-raff. You may also want to search “post and beam construction”. Good luck.

Watched a This Old House episode recently that featured timber frame building. They were cutting some amazingly huge pieces of lumber that were reclaimed from old pit mining equipment, and even from the hulls of wooden ships. Hundreds of years old, and they were working with incredible tools. (24" hand held skil-saw!) Amazing. I can’t find a video of it, but its out there. It’s the Weston House episodes.

They were cutting some amazingly huge pieces of lumber

timber vs. lumber

lum-ber n. 1 timber sawn into boards … 3 cut and prepare forest timber

tim-ber n. 1 wood suitable for building, carpentry, etc. 2 piece of wood or beam esp. as the rib of a vessel 3 large standing trees

note that this timber is sitting on pieces of 4x4 lumber

see: wildhorsetimberworks.com - wildhorsetimberworks Resources and Information.

Well timber, yes. They were definitely timbers. And massive.