I know them as 'Process Books'...

…but i’ve heard all sorts of names for the collection of scraps of papers, sketches, research and iterations cobbled together to present to lecturers [in my case] proof that you’ve followed a process, done your research and solved an issue, developed a new idea,etc…

[a] when you get into the big bad world of ID / CPD, do you still use these? Why?
if so, what do you call them?
[c] and are yours different from mine?

just curious really… I prefer the moleskine sketchpads for sketching and pasting notes into, mainly because i’m pretentious abd like the size, handiness and feel… but when studying we’re forced to have our loose A3 sheetsbound and branded… which i believe is an indication of what is to come in ‘real life ID / CPD’.

Tell me your workbook fantasies and realities.

a- yes we still use those
b- I’d still call them process books
c- mine are different by your description. I’d get in the habit of using plain 8 1/2 x 11 typing bond and doing all of your sketches on those. Scan and organize them all every day. It’ll help make your documentation go much smoother and faster. It sounds like you have a decent system, I’d just make sure it’s very neat, easy to scan, and scalable. I prefer the loose sheets for their flexibility and you can bind them easily if you need to or scan them easily. If I need them in a book I’ll just punch holes in it and my book stays flexible instead of something permanently bound.
Personally, I like how the digital thing is going but that’s another discussion.

I do it in Powerpoint for every single project. I include photo-documentation of the entire process and indicate what decisions were made at each step and why. Showing your worth means showing what you do, not just the outcome.

Otherwise you’re teaching bad habits. People begin to think that design “just happens” and that therefore anyone is capable of doing it.

I should also mention that in an FDA-regulated industry like healthcare, “Design History Files” are considered GMP (Good Manufacturing Process) and are mandatory.