I know Rhino and SolidEdge. Should I?

SO I’ve come out of university being pretty good with Rhino3D+vRAY and SolidEdge20. Does this make me favourable to potential employers? I’ve had a look around and they’re not very commonly asked for. First I thought learning SolidWorks would be better, then i thought Inventor, Alias, etc. and then got confused at the range.

What 2 packages do you think I should have come out of university knowing? Or should I stick with Rhino and SolidEdge and just get REALLY good at them. Any thoughts?

I’ve seen a lot of Rhino being listed when I applied to some interns. I think it’s hit or miss, it all depends on the company on which software they ended up buying. Most I’ve seen list a specific program “or similar knowledge”

I’m on the same boat as you; I’m comfortable with Rhino but was considering if I should learn SolidWorks or just keep digging into Rhino. I decided that I’m sticking with becoming as much of an expert as I can with Rhino than trying to know a little of all the popular CAD programs.

I think most places will have rhino or if not wouldn’t have a problem getting it because it’s so cheap compared to everything else. You’ll see solidworks popping up more because it’s the cheap parametric and places definitely see the value in it.
I can’t think of too many places where I’ve seen solidedge, but that may also just be because of where I look. Once you really know the techniques, the skills still transfer between packages once you get used to the new interface and different names for things. Most commonly you’ll see rhino, solidworks, and pro-e from my experience.

Edit: I forgot to mention, my observations are based in the US, the scene might be different in other places.

Here in Belgium when you look at the job listings for computer-aided design you get 2 noticeable spikes: AutoCAD and Inventor.
And don’t even think about industrial design tools, I guess this country just doesn’t do much besides (heavy) industry :frowning:

Rhino’s downfall opposed to Pro-E and Solidworks is that there is no history tree, and it is a little more manual when it comes to things like thickening surfaces and creating fillets. But it is still a great tool for designers, not only because it’s cheap, but offers the largest variety of curve tools, and it is the most user friendly 3d program I’ve touched.

I don’t know, Rhino’s pretty unadulterated freedom with its NURBS was quite confusing to me at first. Still is, sort of.

Most ads in Sweden put the software they want you to use, and after that “… or an ability to easily learn new software. More importantly, you see solutions that the CAD software doesn’t”. We are currently looking for some extra help with SW, and for me it’s more important that you understand the principle of CAD. Surfacing, referencing that makes sense, design intent and so on. In other words - can I trust you build a model correct, or will someone else need to go in and clean up or redo when you’re done? So my point is - communicate your understanding of CAD and point out that Solidworks is nothing more than a new interface. But of course, it doesn’t hurt to try it out and build a few models if you have time.

Horror story of someone who knows how to OPERATE Solidworks but doesn’t understand how to use it:
I designed a shell and thickened it to 3mm, and handed it of to ME. They had to experiment with a rocker button and spring positions, and went through about 10 iterations. The shell came back to me because the form needed updating. I go up the tree, drag a bunch of splines - and a loooooooooooooooooooong feature tree brakes. Everything. I start digging around about what the hell is going on here, to find out that everytime they moved the ribs and enlarged holes he would extrude cut the ribs and fill the hole, and then make new ones instead of updating dimensions. Since I broke the model it was my resp to at least fix the references, I still haven’t fully recovered from that experience (which btw took about 2 days that could’ve been spent way better).

So yeah, hope you liked my story :wink: Just because you can hold a pencil doesn’t mean you can design. Just because you can locate the icons in the software doesn’t mean you can do CAD. You know a surface modeler and a parametric one, that’s good. Put the emphasis there when it comes up, because the hiring manager may not always understand this not having worked with it personally, and thus can be inclined to hire a less fitting person only because the right software was scribbled on the CV.

Oh, so very true. Thanks for your story.

I think they’re good, but as someone above said, it’s just an interface. It’s good you know a solid modeler and a surface modeler since they differ in how they work.