I interviewed, I gave added samples, and now they want more?

I interviewed for a position with a company that is working on expanding their capabilities to include custom product design. They do not have an ID on staff, and had no idea that ID even existed before I walked in the door. I found the employment ad by accident… it was listed as a graphic design position.

I had a full interview, which went so-so. The Human Resources guy was cool, up front about the company and where it is headed and so on. The guy I’d be working under was… what to call it… distracted? He checked his email, answered phone calls from his wife (and talked for 10 minutes or so) and would not allow me to answer questions, just simply ask more on top of me.

At the end of the interview he says he likes my portfolio, but he doesn’t see how “all this” applies to what “we do here” (promotional type products… nothing groundbreaking) He asks if I’d do some work that is more their style. I explain kindly that he was asking me to work for free, and that I would appreciate a written agreement that they will not use my concepts unless they 1) hire me or 2) pay me They agree. They also have me fill out a 6 page personality analysis.

I complete a few pages of concept sketching and one computer rendering. He takes several days to get back to me. He says that the extra samples show the caliber of creativity they want, but more samples would help them make up their mind.

I don’t know how to politely aks What he expects to gain from more sketches that he hasn’t allready seen? Am I being scammed for ideas? I know the me the lonely designer w/ a written agreement vs. a big company isn’t the best fight in the world.

What do you think?

…I hate the lonely designer w/ written agreement vs/ a big company scenario. Fear not Fortune Cookie, we are here to help.

Here’s a thread that’s similar to your post that I’ve been watching…

I did the ol’ free trial concepts too & It happened to turn out well. I remember feeling exactly the same way though, …exactly the same way.

What do I think? I don’t want to work there! It sounds like they have their heads up their asses. I would not expect them to have a realistic valuation of your contributions if they don’t have a clue about the role ID plays in their business. Good luck though. I hope I’m wrong.

where is your location?

Guest…

why does my location matter? The situation is what it is regardless of geography.

I think, give them what they want.

Why?
Since they did not even know the existing of ID, they may want to know
how far you can go with those interesting concepts.
I believe, a big company like this would never want to cheat you for ideas.

Even though, these is a risk of being scammed for ideas, i still suggest you
to go ahead with extra design samples if you still think that is
a good company for you to work for.

However, as a designer, you must let them understand ‘‘design’’ is your property, insist not to leave anymore scketches or drawing with them.

Written agreement is helpful no matter in whatever kind of situation.
Enclose the agreement & a copy of sketches in an envelope and post it (DHL etc.) back to yourself, keep it properly without opening it, this is in order to verify the date of agreement for future ligel acting (if necessary).

First off, it was very smart to ask for the written agreement, and their willingness to comply is a good gesture. It at least offers proof that they saw your concepts.

Second, I too would be leary to submit a second set of concepts, but in this case, since they know nothing of ID, it is understandable.

The questions to ask yourself are:

Do you want to work for a place with no other ID staff and no knowledge of ID, and with a boss that checks his email in a meeting?

Where do you want to go from there? What will you get from this job in terms of learning and experience that will help you make the next move?

If the answers to these questions reconfirm your desire for the position, then I would do the additional concepts. If not, I wouldn’t spend anymore time on it and just let the guy know you are preparing for other interviews or something, and if it works out, it works out.

Thank you Yo

right now I don’t see this job getting me to where I really want to be, although it would be nice to have the steady pay check.

Being fairly new to the field, I am leary of working without other designers around, with someone who knows nothing of ID.

I just sent a nice email to ask if he could clarify what he doesn’t understand about my skills or creative process. Maybe if I understand where he is confused or unsure I can make a more educated decision about what to do next.