I have to decide

I was accepted to RIT and CCS now.

And, now waiting for Pratt’s result.

People around me say that RIT is more famous and better than CCS.

But, I am 100 % that I will go to Pratt if I get accepted.

Is RIT actually better than CCS? according to its environment, education system, etc,.

Do you know what you want to do in ID. Any future careers paths you’d enjoy. This might help us give you a better answer.

Who are these people? DO they know anything about the current state of design?

RIT is a nice school, with a very good head of the ID department, but I would say CCS is far more connected to the industry than either RIT and Pratt, with most likely stricter admissions as well.

kilu83 it’s all about what you want to get out your education. I am a CCS grad('02) so I am going to have a biased opinion but I will try and keep it level.

All the schools you have listed are great. I remember when I was applying to art schools back in '95 many if the ID programs were a little rusty outside of Detroit. I wanted to go into trans and CCS had the best program by far outside of the RCAD (Royal College of Art and Design). I realized very soon that I was in very competitive program and I just didn’t have what it took to be in trans. I then switched my major to ID and fell in love with it immediately. Over the years I was there I saw the work of some of the other schools, through various IDSA events and saw that the talent level at CCS was far superior but as the years went by I started to see a change. I believe many of the other schools took another look at their programs and revamped them to more competitive for what the industry was asking/ looking for.

As far as history goes CCS by far has everyone beat. CCS started off as the Society of Arts and Crafts in 1906 with a strong affiliation with Cranbrook. The joint venture between the two schools produced some great work from Eames, Saarinen, and Yamasaki in around the city. I will say that the location for CCS isn’t the most glamorous but it differently has a lot of character.

Good luck with your decision but make no mistake ask yourself what you want out of your education and not based off if one school has more history than the other or is better than the another.

One of them graduated from Pratt and

another from Art Center.

They both agreed that RIT is a better school than CCS (overall).

I do not understand why…

In addition, please review my portfolio.

http://boards.core77.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20858

I’m a Pratt grad and if I had to do it again, I would choose CCS. The work coming out of there was amazing.

There are other things than just the school to factor in.
NYC is an amazing city. I studied in New York City and the mere fact that I lived there for 3 years it made me a better designer.
All the culture and the networking is amazing.
It comes at a price though.

Looking at other peoples portfolios might give you an indication but as it has been said many times here, an education is always what you make of it.

I can only tell you what I know about Pratt (where I went). I thought it was a great school and I had an awesome time learning, meeting new people and running around NYC. From the standpoint of arts/culture/history I don’t think there’s another city in the US that can match NY (I’ve lived in DC, Dallas, New Orleans, Honolulu, Omaha, and a few small towns).

Design schools (and art schools for that matter) seem to very much embody ‘you get out of it what you put into it’ vibe. Example: a graduate from Yale in math would probably get a job before a math grad at Penn state would, I haven’t found that to be the case with design because the hiring requirements emphasize: portfolio, ability, experience and personality. Into that mix there is a little bit of ‘who you know’ but that doesn’t get you too far.

Pratt has a lot of pitfalls too, it’s not in a great neighborhood…I guess it’s getting better but it is a block from the projects… how good can it get? Some of the teachers are a little weird and play intra-department political games with their students. A previous chair was well known for this classroom approach. Since he/she could get you into any class you wanted it was common to see people taking sides sometimes. I graduated 5 years ago, I’m sure some of it has changed.

My two cents? Do some self searching and really determine what type of college experience you want, all three are very different and each school has depts within their ID programs that are better/worse. I went to Pratt studied exhibition and furniture design, when I graduated I was hired as a shoe designer and I think it’s awesome. I would definitely redo Pratt.