I hate it when...

… when I/we am/are given only a week to do the entire research and presentation boards. How can I interview/observe users to locate the problem as well as competitor plus existing technology research/comparasions in just a few days? And I hate to do something incomplete just to meet the deadline. I think what many instructors aren’t doing is enough emphasis on problem identification and make sure that the student understands the problem before going into the design development stage. If I don’t even know what I am solving, it’s useless spend the rest of the semester solving something that I don’t even understand. I also find that most of the class/work is carried out only within the classroom/desk. What’s happens to the interaction between you and the people who you are designing for? I also think the lack of exposure to the reality of problems promotes students’ unrealistic blue-sky conceptualizations which many professionals feel is overated. Overally, I realized that the education that I am going through isolates the student as a designer from the consumers. It’s like a closed door project.

Of course it’s always up to me to take the time to do what I feel is necessary, but I wish someone in the school who my tuition fee goes to would have emphasized this point much earlier.

On the other topic…

Most instructors have a timeline for the course so that the whole class can be on the same page. I do feel that seniors should have the option to discuss with the instructor how the timeline should be set after receiving the project briefing. This will allow the student to have the option to shift his/her emphasis on the project. If everyone only has one week to research, then it’s not possible for an individual to make it a research based project and etc.

I had a professor once relate education to a very expensive car. Think about how much you pay in tuition. I’m going to make it easy and pretend that 4 years of school = 100k.

Now, if you had a 100k car, would you let your teachers drive it? Probably not.

So don’t let them drive your education either. Granted, they have a ton of control, but if you have concerns, if you feel that there might be a better way, push for it.

when i was heading break neck through my design course, small projects (of which there would be 2 a semester) were assigned 5 weeks from concept to final presentation. and now that i look back, it wasn’t unrealistic to assign roughly a week to what was each phase. (ideation/research, concepts, r & e, dd and result)

understood that defining a problem is key to solving but the world won’t necessarily wait to get the most through evaluation. the pace set that you are learning to work to will be one of the most beneficial tools when you enter the world.

release dates will rule some projects, not necessarily end feature quality.

A week doesn’t just include that particular class. I am talking about a week’s schedule of a full time student. We usually don’t even get to do our work until night falls when we finish our classes for the day.

A week in the real world is a lot of time because you can delicate more than 40 hrs of time into what we do and possible even have resources set up for your disposal. Students often are doing things for their first time. No, this isn’t an excuse, but it does take time to explore and absorb.

I just want to say that I wish I have more time to research, because in the real world, if your deliverable doesn’t meet the client’s needs, then you haven’t done your job right either.

Welcome to the real world. Do you think a real client is going to give you more than a week. A week is nice.

when i said a week i meant 6 subjects and 43 contact hours per week (general days were 7am to 2am). it wasn’t uncommon to be pulling all-nighters the first few weeks. don’t know about your course but if we failed to deliver on the day asked, we received nothing for that section and each section was worth 20%.

you just found a way to get the job done…just like the real world.