I Get No Respect: I Need Advice

:frowning: Hey everyone,
I work for a self-centerd boss that gives all credit to himself and his sales girls that presents our designs to clients. I work with another lead designer aka design director, and we pump out renderings all day. I’ve been working there for almost two years, and the lead design and the boss have been working together for years. The boss is also a (middle aged) designer. The boss flies the sales girls all around the country to product shows and even China, but when it come to the designers, we go to local places for shows & tells us to look at magazines inhouse.

I am the little guy of the bunch but I produce the better designs and they know it. when I started I had all the time in the world to design, and my stuff sold. But now I get handed the lesser undesirable more complex and detailed work by the lead designer, while he takes the easier work. If there is 7 concepts to design, I usually do 4. If there is 5. I usually do 3. If there is a project that is most likely to sell, the lead designer takes it; sometimes don’t even tell me about it.

Then I have to deal with the boss who sketches hes designs sometimes and pass it to me to model and render. Sometimes the lead designer does them as well, but he could easily say he has another job or is busy, so I’m left with the undesirable work which is rendering someone elses idea; the bosses. I’m not one of the popular players in the group because I’m a little quiet, but I feel that I help them get to where they are at and that I deserve respect, notoriety, & recognition.

[size=18]So I have to deal with the lead designers unfair work distribution and then the bosses constant flow of sketches, bad mood swings, and not enough time to do my stuff.[/size]

In a few years I will be 30 and I need to make a move if I am going to. the job market kinda sucks in the tri-state area eventhough I didn’t apply to anywhere.

What do you guys think?

Start looking for a new job now. It’s never easy to get a new job, the sooner you start looking the faster it will happen.

Get outa there.

Sounds like good advice to me…there’s jobs out there to be had. Go out and get them. Even working on putting together some promotional stuff or a new portfolio will lift your spirits in the short term…

what i learned in the corporate world is that it’s important to be aggressive without appearing arrogant and egotistical. it’s okay to be quiet and soft spoken, but at the same time, you need to let yourself be heard.

if i were you, i would prepare for another job or add on more freelance work to make up for the job you don’t enjoy as much.

anyway, good luck!

squiddy—Thanks. I do very little feelance work, but in 2005 I will be doing more since the person I am doing freelance for has a new contract.

I am wondering though do you think lead designers are supposed to get the work orders which allows them to pin other designers with the undesirable stuff? I don’t think I would be complaining if I had more time to design. I work in a face pace firm, but it is funny that I had allot of time in the beginning, but now I get shoved with more dull work and rediculus sketches from the boss. Now, I feel suppresed and can’t get any creativity out. The boss is lenient to the lead designer, but tough on me. To give an example, this year when the lead designer went on vacation I had a shit load of work that the sales people handed me. But when I went on vacation, it seemed the he went on vacation too. I came back & and the guy hardly did any work. I did like 15 to 20 things when he was on vacation and he did like 3 renderings when I has out. He had like maybe 3 days of vacation more than I had, and claimed he had one ot two pressure days from the boss. He hides behind his so-called IT responsibilities & he gets out of doing work. **He fought against the sales handing me work in the beginning because he needed to “know” what was going on in the dept. Now the sales and the boss almost don’t even communicate with me. This is not the first job I had, so I know thier are places that treat other designers better.

It’s kinda hard dealing with a lead designer, but when you have a boss that often competes with his staff (designers and even sales), it becomes more F-up. I believe the only reason the boss and lead designer gets along is because I take the crap. I say this because when I go on vacation, the boss aggravates the lead designer at times.

Can anyone tell me how to address my issues with the boss. I think I should explain to the boss that I don’t design as much as I used to, and that I get handed most of the (dull) work from the lead designer. Or should I say anything at all and just look for another job because they could get a clue as to my true intentions in the future?

What do you guys think?

You will run into bad managers (lead designer in this case) all the time. Sounds to me that this person might be worried about getting canned in the future. If what you say is true (that your skills are better) and you have management potential I’m sure your supervisor is threatened… someday you might take his job, do a better job and cost less. He’s taking the better projects to make himself look good, not you.

A good manager knows that if the people he/she manages do great work it makes them look good. Make sure your new boss is like this. Chances are this type of person will have lots of confidence and not be threatened by your abilities.

Your bosses sound like the classic qualified idiots often accidentally parachuted into management and simply taking advantage of you. Also, you are still finding out more people are interested in office politics above anything even remotely close to productive work, i.e. activities actually adding to the firm’s bottom line. This is because if society only offered a livelihood to its competent, honest and hardworking members, a frightening percentage of the general population would live below the poverty line and probably off crime.

And so “managers” like yours became the norm, not the exception, if that’s any consolation. You will find them in all companies, and even if you start off with a good one (who inspires by example, challenges team members to be their best, is generous and supportive, among others), you are not sure he/she will always be there.

Loyalty should be applied selectively in life. Personal and business relationships (such as a job) are very different things. One tries to make a worthwhile personal relationship work because, in most cases, finding your soul mate in life is far harder and more complex than finding another job. My feel from your writing is that you tend to take your usual self to work unchanged, that is, you immediately resent what often are the usual ways of business as a personal rebuke of you talent, dedication and hard work. People naturally take the path of least resistance, your co-workers included.

What you have here is strictly a client relationship. Lifelong jobs being history today, you owe them nothing.

Indeed, quiet employees tend to be taken for granted at times, though their output is what gains them respect and in the end, their paycheck. But they are inevitably used for all they are worth, and then some! If you’re on the sensitive side, it will hurt.

My suggestion is to start a conversation on your concerns with them only if you like the work to such an extent you want to stay there. Otherwise, turn your radar on, pack up samples of your good work to date and give them the boot on first occasion without looking back.

People leave their bosses first, not their companies. Before you decide there are no opportunities for designers in your area, be creative on the types of industries and businesses that can use your skills but have no idea you even exist. Many designers miss out on great potential work opportunities with less typical design employers because schools leave them with a very limited view of real-world ID applications.

Arrogance, downloading responsibilities and constant self-promotion (like you see around you) are often the tools of the professionally incompetent or the insecure. But to have talent and passion for what you do (not to mention a track record in your case) and be afraid to speak out and move on is a crime.

You have the mobility but still have to put it to good use. It’s also much better for the ego (and always a memorable experience) to leave on your own terms than be pushed out the door on theirs.

[quote=“YAYO all dayo”]squiddy—Thanks. I do very little feelance work, but in 2005 I will be doing more since the person I am doing freelance for has a new contract.

I am wondering though do you think lead designers are supposed to get the work orders which allows them to pin other designers with the undesirable stuff?

Can anyone tell me how to address my issues with the boss. I think I should explain to the boss that I don’t design as much as I used to, and that I get handed most of the (dull) work from the lead designer. Or should I say anything at all and just look for another job because they could get a clue as to my true intentions in the future?

What do you guys think?[/quote]

\

I am wondering though do you think lead designers are supposed to get the work orders which allows them to pin other designers with the undesirable stuff?

i see this happen often enough especially in larger corporate arenas. the folks in lead positions often take the “better” part of the project and pass on the production work to his/her direct reports or whatever they call you.

a company with good management will provide you a more nurturing environment with opportunities for growth. and there are companies like that for sure. but as what you had just states, you are not currently in that situation, and i suggest that you ask for better projects to be handed off to you on top of the not so fun projects that you usually do. this will show that you want to learn and move forward. if they don’t give you that opportunity just because, then yeah, keep searching. with a positive outlook, a confident attitude and good skills, you’d be able to find a good job for sure. just make sure that when you do look for a job, take into consideration your job description, the work environment AND the personality of your supervisor.

good luck!

Make your move. Life is too short to work for people that won’t respect you. You’re life will be much more fullfilling somewhere else even if for less pay. You can’t put a price on your peace of mind (unless it’s temporary).
You don’t want to get jaded and worn out early in your career. Look for greener pastures, or at least one with less venomous snakes.

try being sued 15 months after the companey goes under…because you we hired by an ID firm within the 25 mile radious of the now bancrupt companies old office. Non-Competes in this state even hold up to bancruptcy or buyout. Now I was just ordered by a judge to pay him 75K and I have to quit my current job, plus pay the 9k he racked up in legal fees for his lawers yes three of them blood suckers. Too bad I cant pay if I have no job!

Ouch!!! What state was that again? Please tell.

That’s absolutely horrible! Please tell what state that is in so I can make a mental note!

Beautiful, majestic, and horrible to work in Missouri

Is St. Louis that bad to work in? Is it just the legal crap, or is it just a dead end kind of place?

first off all design leads, senior designers and design managers aren’t all jack asses. second, everyone works their ass off when they first start out. design school cannot teach you what you need to know in a professional setting and growth is painful and slow. next, if you rock that much and do that many renderings then you should be a bad ass thus getting a job should be no problem but let me warn you…if you go into an interview with the “got no respect” bit you probably won’t get the job. for what ever reason design positions carry some ill form of sacrifice with them and everyone at some point has been where you are now. honestly when I read your threads I thought, “cry me a river.” design is a humbling sport my friend and even if you find the best office, team or company to work for you will encounter times when you feel you aren’t getting respect…it is best to get past that quick so your brain doesnt turn to mush and your teeth fall out.
so turn the negative into a positive and move on. if you don’t move on then you are the only person to blame for your disrespect.
as far as your boss and the ladies he totes around to clients. fact is, women are a business mans best weapon. I suggest a sex change if you are man. Women have magical powers and the sooner you recognize that the sooner you will be on your way to wealth, happiness and prosperity. :laughing:

Its not that we (women) have magical powers, its just some of you guys are thinking with the wrong part of your anatomy. Personally I feel the boss is bringing the sales people (who happen to be women) instead of the designers (sounds like they are all men) because it is part of their job to find new clients and check out the competition. These sales people will look like idiots if they go to a client and don’t know what the competition is doing. The boss can’t bring everyone it cost money. The sales force brings in the jobs that pay everyones salary.

YAYO, please stop presenting MY work conditions as your own :slight_smile: