HP zd 7000 notebook

One of the best machines for the money.
I’m thinking about pulling the trigger for one of these.
Can’t decide on bumping up RAM to 2gig for another $400.

HP zd7000 series

Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional with SP2
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 3.40 GHz w/HT Technology
Display 17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Wide Viewing (1680x1050)
Graphics Card 128MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce™ FX Go5700
Memory 1.0GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB)
Hard Drive 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
Primary CD/DVD Drive 8x DVD+/-RW & CD-RW Drive!
Networking 54g™ 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster

comments welcome

how much does that system cost ?

HP zd8000
HP zd7000
Dell Inspiron 9200
Alienware mj-12
Dell M60
Toshiba Quosimo

Which one to get?

sorry, I forgot to add the price $2150
I also think I forgot to configure it with the
HD screen, but the price reflects the HD screen.

to answer the “which one” question:

HP zd7000 series for the price.
MJ-12 is slightly better, but costs at least $1000 more.
The HP zd8000 series can’t be configured with an Nvidia card,
and ATI cards are junk.
Dell M60 is old and the screen can’t compete with HP high def screens.

I am considering HPzd7000 series or Alienware MJ-12.

Whawt about the Toshiba Quosimo?

I use Rhino so would Alienware be a bit overkill since that runs on lesser graphics cards. Would Alienware or workstation class be overkill for Rhino+Flamingo use?

If I use Rhino+Flamingo, which laptop is best?

I don’t think you can get an Nvidia 128 card with Toshiba and more money.
For the money, HP is the way to go. Will run Rhino with ease.
If you have money to burn, then get the MJ-12. It’s a smoke’n machine but too much $$$$ for me.

Looks like I am getting a zd7000 series then!

I have a budget from my boss of anything under $3K total. Ideally in the $2,500 range

For about $2500 you can get it with 2 gig or RAM.

The Dell 9200 Inspiron has a DVI port…the ZD7000 doesn’t. Hmmmmm

Dell ha ha ha

why are you laughing at the dell?

Does anyone have any opinions / experience with the Compaq (hp) R3000Z series? As far as I can see this computer is a IDers Dream. Low cost, good quality and powerfull! Have a look at the specs below:

Processor - AMD Athlon™ 64 3700+ (2.40 GHz)
Graphics Card - 64MB NVIDIA(R)
Display - 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen
Hard Drive - 100 GB
Cost - $799 (base cost)

In case you do not know, AMD athlon64 processor are the reason Pentium is rethinking the development of the P5. These processor are fast, very, very fast!

Anyway, just looking for an opinion?

Sounds like an entry level machine for a good price.
AMD Athlon 64 are the future. Microsoft will introduce a 64 bit XP late this year or early next. And software companies have to make 64 bit stuff to take advantage of the AMD 64. We have a good 2 yrs before that happens.

Nvidia makes a 128 meg card.
And HP owns Compaq.

Actually, the Compaq R3000Z were designed to be an entry level to mid level computer and HP went with the Athlon 64 processor because it is cheaper than the P4. However as it tuned out the Athlon 64 is a superior processor to the P4’s and when combined with the NVIDIA 64MB graphics card and upgraded memory the R3000Z is faster than the higher priced mid to upper level HP computers. So although it was designed as an entry level computer it is a better product than its higher priced competition, this computer only costs $799! you can buy 4 R3000Z’s for the same price as similarly performing Alianware laptop.

good luck with that

wow, such an intelligent contribution to this tread. Genius!

how do the ATI and Nvidia differ functionally?
When you say ATI is a junk(heard a lot of this- after getting one…), why do they suck so bad? it is the speed of generating the perspective view ? do Nvidia actually produce better quality?
would appreciate your comments

I originally had an ATI 64 meg card in my work station. It didn’t perform the tasks that a video card should. It wouldn’t regenerate views correctly. It would leave trails on screen, nothing but problems. Friends had the same issues. I called the software co’s I use, and they all recomended Nvidia cards.

Similar situation here

I had a top of the line ati piece in my work station it didn’t cut it, replaced it with an nvidia now it’s smooth sailing.

I also recently bought the zd7000 my configured specs are floating around in another laptop thread somewhere, i love it.

Are you running any 3D software on the HP?
Is it fast for a notebook?
I’m looking at the same one.