How useful is a certificate in ID

I was thinking about going back to school and studying ID, but am also wondering about the certificate programs in ID out there…I spoke to an instructor at MassArt and he said that the majority of students don’t even finish the certificate program, that they find internships and learn some stuff, then just go into ID with their previous degree and no certification/degree in ID. Is this true? I would think that even with just a certification rather than a BFA in ID would be hard to get a good ID job.

It depends if you have an undergrad degree in a related field and how committed you are. I can’t image that an instructor at MassArt would say that “the majority of students don’t even finish the certificate program, that they find internships and learn some stuff, then just go into ID with their previous degree and no certification/degree in ID.” It’s hard enough getting a job out of a 4 and 5 year program in ID. You should have have wrapped your hands around his black turtle neck and let him have it. Sounds like they just want your money.