How to write assembly instructions for manufacturer?

I have a product which I’ve designed in CAD and had rapid prototypes made. It is a simple injection molded product with several parts which will need to be assembled in the factory. What I don’t know how to do is write the assembly instructions for the manufacturer? Do you literally just type something out that says Part A connects to Part B, etc. Or is there a formal template/protocol that manufacturer’s need to assemble your product correctly? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Landon

There are software programs for this, and you can get by with doing it yourself. Typically you see assembly drawings in some kind of isometric/3D line drawing view, which you can create in your CAD program.

I would advise against relying too much on the written word - it can augment, but not replace, a good diagram.

You also have 3D prototypes so you can photograph those pieces in the assembly order and either just use the photos with commentary or do line drawings over the photos.

If I was a manufacturer I’d probably want the photos - anything other than the real things will require interpretation.

My 4 year old son took one look at the instructions for a bed from IKEA, and told me that if we didn’t know how to put something together, or if it was broken, we should call IKEA.

He can’t read. The power of communication by illustration.

I will second the motion but recommend a pictorial Poke Yoke. I would send along a laminated (paper wears out easily) step by step picture assembly that they can post by the work stations.

Never assume that the person doing the assembling will just “get it”. Trust me when I say if they can possibly snap / shove / force / etc… it together they will. I have seen all too many “how the heck did they do that” assemblies. :unamused:

For that matter, it might be a good idea to also put together a short video of exactly how to assemble the product to give to the factory. They could show it to the assemblers in order to augment the pictorial instructions.

For that matter, it might be a good idea to also put together a short video of exactly how to assemble the product to give to the factory.

I can’t believe I’m actually saying this, but … perhaps a YouTube instructive video at both a consumer and “factory” level?