how to find new materials for ideaj/projects?

for both bluesky and more tangible solutions

where to begin?

where do you look?

Trade shows? Press releases?
What are you looking for – plastics, alloys, composites, ceramics…most of those can be tailor-made to the properties you need in a part.

This post is really, really vague. More info might help.

yeah is a bit vague but i was thinking that the generality of it would get more responses, but i guess not…

i just hoping to see how and where people found materials or justified their forecasting of future materials.

anyone?

“justified their forecasting of future materials”. Speak english? I hate it when people feel they have to speak in designer-ese.

ummm, last time i checked every word i used exists in an english dictionary, what about it is designer-ese?

Well, Arclight how about you rephrase that in as few words in Illiter-ees for us. 'Cause you be right. I wish we could all just go back to grunting, the less I have to use my brain the better. :neutral_face: What a shame that Industrial Designers are speaking like intelligent people. How embarrassing junglebrodda, do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

Apologies if that came across too harsh. I don’t understand what you’re asking, and I think if you rephrased it in some other way, we might be able to help better…

I’m reading it as “attempt to guess what materials will be invented in the future” – though that took two fairly intelligent people to figure out.

“attempt to guess what materials will be invented in the future”

that works, ijust want to know how others go about doing this

Journals (introductions, don’t scare yourself with the full articles) and magazines.
It’s the core of engineering and thus is a very very big field. A better question would probably be “how the hell do I find the material I want/imagine” as there will be a lot out there that you simply don’t know are already in existence.

One way to go about it I suppose would be to get your hands on a good materials database, the kind where you put in the basics of what you want and it spews out everything within those constraints but in a logical manner. Then anything that takes your fancy you can look into deeper and see what progress is being made in that area.

The alternative would be to imagine a set of properties and then repeatidly write emails to a materials research institution until they get so fed up with you they invest some time into it.

thank you,

“how the hell do I find the material I want/imagine” as there will be a lot out there that you simply don’t know are already in existence.

yes, i guess that is a better way to put it

One way to go about it I suppose would be to get your hands on a good materials database, the kind where you put in the basics of what you want and it spews out everything within those constraints but in a logical manner. Then anything that takes your fancy you can look into deeper and see what progress is being made in that area.

where do you get a database like this?

Good question :stuck_out_tongue:

I just remember some of my lecturers mentioning them when I was at uni.

I’ll look into it for you, don’t know how they would suit ID compared to engineering though. Could be some business in a database of this type orientated toward the IDers of the world.

Try http://www.materialexplorer.com/ for a start. Online, free, material database… it’s good. And then keep your eyes open, check out magazines (all of them), books (C. Lefteri’s books on materials is a good start), fairs (furniture), etc…