how serious are they about "EOE"

Hello All,

assuming you are fluent in English, how would u feel or react to a person asking you what nationality you are (or where your from) when you call for the second time to follow up on your resume?

i recently got that and found it odd, especially since they didnt even read my resume…the only info that raised a “flag” was my first name, and its not even common or associated with any religion or ethnicity.

what are your feelings about that? how should i feel about that?

just wanted to see how would other fellow core77 members would feel about that… is the Industrial design field really EOE?

thanks n adv

I think it is not right because of when they asked. Too early in the process. If they had interviewed you and were planning to hire you, then they might ask in case a work visa was needed. But right at the beginning is so wrong.

Could it be that they’ve had issues with work visas and stuff before, and they just decided they it was an easy way to cut down the numbers of applications? Maybe they had someone they wanted to hire and then it fell apart due to the paperwork.

But in that case I guess they should have specified that in the job add…

Big or small company?

that’s a question you 1.) shouldn’t be asked, and 2.) you don’t have to answer. If it turns out that answer means you don’t get hired, it’s illegal (at least in the US)

Is that accurate ^^^

I’m not sure. I believe they can stipulate that candidates must be a citizen or a have proper work visa. So if they can say that in the requirements, it seems like they might be able to ask it right off the bat. It does seem that in this case, it is a bit odd the way it was asked, but making sure you have the ability to work there just saves everyone involved a bunch of time.

It is accurate if it’s related to race or religion. Stipulating a valid work visa, or US citizenship is perfectly legal. It seems like the way they asked the question wasn’t related to citizenship, but more of a cultural heritage thing which is totally shady.

Agree with Nurb.

Ability to legally work - Okay, but best to stipulate it in the ad.

What is your cultural background - Very, very illegal.

thanks for all the replies.

i should have stated in my post that i DON’T have an “immigrant” accent; no offense to anyone. i think if it was a visa issue, they could have asked if i am a US citizen or not (which i am btw).

Nurb - your right! i should have not answered it. you also right that it is illegal, but there is no way to prove it.

oh btw, i have encountered this (racism, bias, etc) many time in my school / professional career…i am starting to have a bad taste in my mouth from this profession…any “serious” advice?

I have been asked the following in an interview for and during an internship:

Are you married?
Do you have a girlfriend?
What nationality is your last name?
You believe in Jesus right?

All asked by the same manager, who was an intern hazing prick. I took the internship, did quite well, they were interested in hiring me right out of school in 2001 for about 40k a year I would estimate, I turned it down solely because of how this douche-kabob handled my time in his studio as an intern. Too bad too, because my actual hiring manager and other studio managers were stand-up folks. I threw him under the bus in my exit interview, ciao!

Fortune 500 company, completely unacceptable.

Wow, that is unbelievable Greenman. I’ve been asked some doozies as well. One I won’t repeat, but it was pretty shocking at the time.

Oh you can’t leave us hanging like that!

At another job, my first week, I was having lunch with 2 other designers and they were like, “So, like, are you a Republican?”.

Being a Centrist is so much fun.

Fwiw in Europe it’s common to include a photo and list your marital status on your cv. (both illegal to ask for in north America as far I know).

R

I’ve noticed that a lot of UOS resumes also include their birth date as well, and I believe it is also illegal in the US to inquire about age.

is there a way to confront them (in a polite manner) ?

It’s not completely illegal to inquire about age nor marital status. But how it’s worded and when these questions are asked can make a big difference. Of course some jobs can require you to be at least 18 or 21 and so on. As far marital status, they may inquire after an interview to figure relocation costs, amount of travel the person may be willing to go under, sponsoring visas and insurance/benefits, etc. A very famous design director actually asked everybody in our class how old we were when he came to see our presentations. He was from a european company fwiw. I didn’t find it offensive, I’m always curious about people’s age too.

I actually had a very horrible experience sometime ago where I wished the company HAD asked me about my nationality from the very beginning. I was offered a 6 month internship at an amazing consultancy in europe. There was around a 2 month time-frame between the first interview and beginning of the internship when they finally asked about my citizenship. They made an assumption without asking me upfront. We then had to cancel the internship a week before I was supposed to leave and lost all my flight money which i payed for out of my own pocket! You can imagine what a round trip flight to europe from the US costs…

thanks Modsquad for your input. with stories such as your and mine, i wonder if there is an “ethics code” so to speak in the design industry…

at the moment, i am thinking i should contact the main office (which is not the same location i called) and tell them my incident…any advice on doing that? is it a good/bad move? should i just let it go (even though it happen to me many time)?

any help/advice on how to go about this kind of issues and future issues would be great and helpful…