How much to charge for cad work?

How much should I charge for CAD work?

How do I find out how much I should be charging?

$35 per hour, $75 per hour?

I get freelance jobs doing Solidworks that take anywhere from 4 to 10 hours. I make drawings and basic renderings.

Does anyone else do freelance CAD work?

What is the scope of the work?

Are you simply putting designs into 3D, or are you actually developing the product/concept as you input the CAD data?

Are you doing the engineering, optimizing the parts for production, setting draft, bosses, matterial specs, and overall tolerances?

Are you using your own equipment, and software or are you using the clients software and hardware?

Are you simply putting designs into 3D, or are you actually developing the product/concept as you input the CAD data?

Are you doing the engineering, optimizing the parts for production, setting draft, bosses, matterial specs, and overall tolerances?

Are you using your own equipment, and software or are you using the clients software and hardware?

Not very much development, but I do solve basic engineering issues while building the model. Sometimes I do quite a bit of design. Sometimes not.

The work is not always ready for production at this stage. The purpose is for selling and licensing, but the CAD models have to be realistic since they are used in meetings with manufacturers. The simpler designs are usually ready to go to tooling.

I set draft and bosses, but don’t call out material specs. There is usually an assumption about material. For instance ABS, or steel -just basic material assumptions that might change downstream.

I own the software and the hardware.

Thanks!