How Much Should a Cad guru Make?

Can anyone help me with a salary question:

I’ve got about 3 years of experience with autocad and about a year with proE. I thought I was doing o.k. but comparing salaries here and on cadtalent.com I think maybe I’m being severly shortchanged. I’m in northern california.

Any ideas? I’d be absurdly grateful.

Cheers,

John.

are you a cadmonkey (person who does all the grunt work for an architect or such) or are you actually designing things? Makes a huge difference in what you can expect.
I bet if you went back to cadtalent and looked at the work histories this would be pretty clear. If your a cadmonkey you cant expect to earn a whole lot, but if your capable of intricate designs you should be near at least 50K, I’d say. By 5 years, certainly.

I don’t know about that. I know for a fact that top talent in the gaming industry are asking about 50k right out of school. The better question is “how good are you?”

but what are they getting? and do those jobs require 100 hrs/week?

no engineering degree. only CAD. yrs experience? i’ll guess 4. maybe $40k in the midwest. more on the coasts. strictly top of my head.

WITH YOUR LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE I WOULD LOOK AT A RANGE BETWEEN $10 TO $14/HOUR DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU LIVE IT COULD VARY AT LEAST TILL THEY START OUTSOURCING TO THE CHINA AND INDIA. I AM A CERTIFIED CAD MONKEY AND I HATE IT SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS MY KEYBAORD IS BROKE

They do get 50k- but you are right- those guys live at work. Also, they are “degreed” in some way (a lot of ID’ers end up doing that)

Yeah- just pumping CAD you will probably not get too much.

HAHAHA THAT WAS SOME FUNNY SHIT I DO NOT KNOW OF TO MANY DRAFTERS AKA CAD MONKEYS MAKING $50K AT THEIR TRADE IF YOU GET OVERTIME AND WORK 80 HOURS A WEEK MAYBE 8 HOURS A DAY OF THIS SHIT IS ENOUGH FOR ME I FREAKING HATE IT HELP ME SOMEBODY PLEEZ!

Coroflot Salary Survey

The fifth annual Coroflot Salary Survey is open for another 10 days. We’ll publish the results then. For now you have to participate to see the results. You can sort data by job title, work environment or location.[/url]

At my previous job (corporate environment) all the CAD Jockey’s were contract employess. Most had a two or three year tech. degree from say a junior college or trade school, so they came out of school fully experienced on two or three high end engineering software packages. I know for a FACT that they pulled down between 80-90k a year…

Also, depends on how you define a CAD Jockey. Are you just developing the initial concept for a CAD / Design engineer to run with, or are you ACTUALLY developing a final model to have tooling made for production. I know a lot of ID’s and none of them develop final CAD models for production tooling. Design Engineers (CAD Jockey’s / Monkey’s) do that…they couldn’t draw a box in perspective if there life depended on it…

It sure does feel good to know that there are other CAD monkeys out there…I now know that there are others who suffer!!