How much experience is experienced?

Hi,
I graduated from college in 2002 from the Advertising & Computer Graphics Program. Went through 4 semesters of brain washing what ‘design’ really is. Did the intern thing and now what? I’ve been in and out of jobs, it’s almost depressing!

From working at home to working at a design studio (which was only a 2 month contract), I’ve done it all.

I’m currently working at a small newspaper place which allows my design extend to font 11 or font 12… hmm… the joy!

So, the question is… how much experience is being experienced?
Overall since my graduation, I’ve been working for 3 and a half years in design.

I applied for junior position that replied to me by saying… “You’re too experienced for this position”
So I tried the intermediate position that reply with “You’re not experienced enough for this position”

So what will it be?

I am not trying to be rude.

First of all sounds like you’re complaining.

Second, sounds like you’re confused and you don’t believe in what you do.

Put your lamentations aside.

Ask yourself what your dream job would be, either a companies or work you want to do.

Put a portfolio together of the best stuff you have. Post it here or any other website dealing with what you do. Ask for a critique. Some critiques will be constructive, others will just want to add their 2 cents. Fix what needs to be fixed and show your work again. It will never be perfect and you will need to stop somewhere. Good rule of thumb - just fix the major things and spare the details, unless you have time for them.

Make a list of all places where you want to work and exactly what you want to do there.

See if anyone already works for the companies you want to work for. Find out what kind of people they hire and you modify your work to suit their style. One of the ways you can get in touch with these companies is through your school. Good chance is that someone from your school works there. Find out what you can and go for it. Your old professors surely know who is who in your industry, see if they can help.

Eventually, when you get so fed up with your own situation and you feel like you’re pushed to the limits, you’ll figure out a way of doing what you want without anyone telling you what to do - like me.

I wish you best of luck and I know things will turn around for you.

Actually it sounds to me like this person is frustrated. We all need to vent at times and they are just doing this. Don’t try to read too much into their post.

It sounds like you are just having trouble finding the right position. It can be really hard to find the perfect job. Just keep plugging away at it. The advice the previous person posted is good. But the analysing wasn’t really necessary.

Finding a good job when schools are turning out more applicants then what’s available is frustrating beyond belief. People are living longer and working longer and on top of that companies are downsizing and forcing employees to wear more hats for the same amount of pay.

Be willing to relocate for a position and accept poor pay and mediocre work, that’s how most people get into any business.

Yes, total agreement, on perhaps moving geographically.

It’s tough and you’ll be competing with other graduates who are software geeks and will work for cheap.

Keep looking and be careful with the energy you exude when you interview, they can sense that with the tone of your voice, posture, all around presence. Don’t let them know you’ve been down/frustrated in looking and disgruntled with the current jobs.

Just try to look positive and know that you’re better off working these “whatever” jobs rather than not having any jobs at all.

Don’t worry, we’ve all been there and we’ve eventually found what we’ve looking for.

You are sort of in between in terms of work experience. Just because you’re X years out of school doesn’t mean that you necessarily have X years of experience. It makes sense to apply for both entry-level and intermediate positions, knowing that you might be over- or under-qualified. In fact, I’ve noticed that entry-level positions are requiring more experience than a truly entry-level person would have. And, there seem to be more most-grad internships out there, whose job descriptions sound like entry-level job descriptions of yesteryear. It’s a tough market, especially for people starting out.

One tip for you: the next time someone says you’re over-qualified, be prepared with a come-back. Explain what you hope to learn from the position, or that you really want to work with the senior designer, or that you’re really interested in a company’s clients. Prove that you’re not just desperate and applying for every job. You should have the same tactic for when someone says you’re under-qualified (although it probably won’t make a difference, since there are so many other candidates).