How many non degreed Designers are out there?

I would like to hear about designers that do not have an Industrial Design degree and what they are doing, how they go in etc.

Is there a set of skills to acquire to get an entry level position?

Feedback please.

great Question…

im freelancing graphic design, and trying my best to get a job in the field of ID,

its very tough so far. though i have been in school for a lot of years studying ID and graphic design…

if there is a will, there is a way…

It’s definitely an interesting question, but what you also have to consider is educational based design and real-world design. I have just graduated from a good college, but you cannot really refer to yourself as a designer if you are just a graduate out of college. You can only be thought so much as design whereas actually experiencing a ‘real’ deadline, and presenting to real clients is what makes you a designer. When you are entry level in the design world you are almost starting again essentially, in an apprecentice type of employment.

However, I don’t think nowadays you would get in the door to many design consultancies without having an industrial/product design degree (or, as previously stated a creative degree with really good experience and knowledge of the other area, ID). I had an interview with a very good consultancy recently and they made quite a big deal about the college I went to, obviously being impressed by it. So in a way, credentials are everything.

What are other peoples experiences/opinions?, as I am speaking as someone who has literally just gaduated.

I know quiet a few Industrial designers in their 40’s who had architecture or graphics degrees, but today, it is a pretty rare thing. Their are so many very well skilled ID graduates who have multiple internships are are ready to roll, I think you would have to get over the hurdle of convincing a potential employer that you would be just as valuable to the company as one of them.

There are a lot of aspects of a good design education that can be taken for granted and going without may hurt the designer in the long run. Even if a person can sketch, pump CAD, and has a love of design, I’m of the opinion that a firm grasp of Art, Architecture, and Design history, Design theory, 2d and 3d form theory, and color theory is equal to those more tangible skills.

Thanks to all of you for your advice.