How many designers get a?

hi

Just wondering how many designers actually land a Job in thier field? and how long does it take? And if those who could not for whatever reason what did they do after? …

Just want to know thanx

It took me 4 months to find a design job because I didn’t start looking until I finished my graduation.
Worked for half a year, got laid off because the comapny can afford too many designers…
then find a few job offers a month after laid off…
working since then…

I started early-really wanting to gain experience-looking for just internships but instead became jobs-have had three jobs in last 2 years . I started my first two as an sophmore in college. the first was based around my major (graphic design-freelance for a magazine ) and the second for a footwear company-was an intern there for three weeks then was hired-and then begining of my junior yr-got another footwear design job ( right now managing to work at both-not illegal they are not competitors and both companies know that i am working at th other place)-

good thing about starting early is that you gain alot of experience and really learn about how to manage your time with full time school and jobs-But alos has I think prepared me for dealing with amounts of pressure greater than 2 assignments due for school on the same day and a 10 page paper and 15 min. presentation due the next day-

If you can deal with this and school then I suggest students early on trying to gain as much experience as possible-really use your schools as a great resource-ALSO for landing jobs and hearing about jobs-stay closely networked with your peers at school-most likey some of them will land jobs and hopefully pass down other work or a heads up at there work for possible hiring-

I wouldn’t wait to start looking for experience or a job that summer after graduation-I think that is being ill-prepaired-especially when you could have had a chance to maybe do somethings-

I can’t wait to get out of school myself-- Good luck to all in that job hunt-

…i’ve worked as an id since uni so i can’t speak for those who didn’t find work, but i do come across one now and again…cad or computer graphics jockeys, manufacturer reps, recruiters, even an engineer or two…i am told that only 1/4 professionals work in their field of education and i imagine id might even be less…

I agree with that-or they work in field and outside-I have a couple friends in graphic design that are doing fashion. I was talking to another footwear designer the other day and he told me that he majored in illustration-so I think our education helps us but doesn’t limit us to one field, especially when skills run over the many fields, drawing, creative thinking, working in teams, etc…

Well it took me 4 months to find a design job after graduation. I also moved the week after I graduated. I know people I graduated with that still dont have a job and still live in the same place. I also know people that I graduated with that knew they didn’t want to design when we graduated. What do they do? I have no idea, I don’t know what other field would interest me other than design. Its tough.

Well it took me 4 months to find a design job after graduation. I also moved the week after I graduated. I know people I graduated with that still dont have a job and still live in the same place. I also know people that I graduated with that knew they didn’t want to design when we graduated. What do they do? I have no idea, I don’t know what other field would interest me other than design. Its tough.

hi

thanx for the replies.
I my self havent been employed as a desginer since graduation 2 years ago partly my fault partly no replies. Does that mean i suck?
Nope I have skills in alota areas but i feel that design Jobs [ product or ID ]
are quite limited and sometimes people are lucky to get what they want. Couple of my uni friends are doing jobs like a media designers or totally different from what they majored in.

I my self havent given up thinking of starting my own firm. Sometimes this year but need to do some research etc.

good luck with that, i am sure some cities are better than others to start firms. and do you have a freelance client base? or your friends? will you be starting the firm with others? there should be a someone in the group that has contacts so that you guys can get up and running on some jobs. I wouldnt suggest a bunch of you and your friends start a firm-and everyone is in the same boat that you are in. because you might end up at first getting jobs that you could do solo-but will have to split as a group ( i am not sure how you would assign assignments or salaries fo r the designers in your firm)

++ my friend tried that and wish he had just done solo–

I really don’t think it’s a good idea to try to start your own business until you’ve gotten your feet wet working for someone else. I had visions of owning my own company as well when I was fresh out of school - now with 10 years under my belt, I am happy that I’ve waited. Learn from other’s mistakes - that way you won’t kill yourself finacially with your own errors.

By the way - where are you located and what sort of product design are you intersted in? I always can find freelance work on craigslist.org - small projects to keep your mind working. If you live in or near a posted city it’s definitely worth checking out.

good luck!

Agreed- I would wait to get more experience too-and build up a network of clients.

hi

yeah some good advice for me thanx :slight_smile:

I am located in london [ outskirts not central ]

I was thinking of going solo and I understand the point regarding contacts I think thats very important. [ dont have any :frowning: ]

At this point in time I am stuck down as I dont know how to get my work or ideas across. Design wise I can do furniture,product,graphics etc. Mostly creative and conceptual stuff.

Ill be doing some commission based work soon but thats in graphics. I would prefer to work for companies as that was the whole idea when i was at uni. Come out get some experience for couple of years then see where I could go.

Another option for me is to do a MASTERS this year but thats taking out 5k and again that does not gurantee me a job.

Thanx for the advice helps alot. [escuse the spelling 4am here ]