How long to stay at my job

Hi all- this is my first post on the new core. I used to parooze here when is was anonymous and flamy, but glad to see its cleaned up and most topics are helpful and friendly :smiley:

Anyway, I graduated in 02 and have worked in four ID related jobs plus freelance. I am currently a product designer for a great north eastern US firm and I really love my job, except the pay is extrememly low and there doesnt seem to be much room to grow or advance. I have been there just over 8 months and I want to start looking for something new. My question is does it look bad to new employers that I have changed jobs so frequently? Should I stick it out for a year or more here?

Its not unusual for people to move around a lot, especially when they are 1st starting out in their career. I do think you need to have at least 1 year or even 2 year stint on your resume.

Have you done research on what you should be earning. Put a proposal together then ask your boss for a raise. If you like your job then try and make it work. You could get a job for double the money but hate it… trust me, that’s not what you want to do!

Yes, the previous writer is correct.

When moving from job to job, one needs to think about the overall environment of their job. Peace of mind is the best rule of thumb to live by. I have found that the highest paying jobs usually come with high stress, lots of politics and can sometimes be short lived. If you are comfortable try to work with your boss. Make a genuine effort to express your concerns in a positive manner. If they are fair and your work represents your expectations then I’m sure you can come to some type of arrangement.

Best of luck.

I have asked for a raise and its been dragged out for over a month now without any resolve. Its getting to the point of exploitation and the negatives are beginnig to outweigh the positives. Again, I really like the design work but the compensations is way below par.

I forgot to log in that last post. The above response was from me.

Maybe you should wait until a year has passed and tell them “I feel like there isn’t much potential for growth in my career here, and I may leave unless I see greater potential from my job”.

My Mom has been a nurse her whole life. About 8 years ago she got a Bachelors Degree in Nursing (one step above an RN) in the hopes that she could move into a position that provided her with an opportunity to do something other then pass meds to people. She wanted to teach, but the truth is the area she lives in just doesn’t have the population to support many advanced positions.

To make a long story short, she re-married a year ago, and now my Step-dads’ business is doing well enough to where she doesn’t need to work fulltime anymore. She went into her office and said, “Unless you offer me a position which utilizes my advanced nursing skills, I’m leaving.” They offered her a 2 day a week position to fill out paperwork for state regulations, which is similar to something she had done in the past and she enjoyed. No more doing bullshit LPN work. I’m really proud of her for that reason. I always felt my Mom was a person with great integrity (all around and) in terms of her career, now she’s taking more steps to prove it…

The above response is really encouraging but we need to remember designers come a dime a dozen and right now nurses are in great demand.

Please don’t think I mean any disrespect to your mom or what she has accomplished. It is great. That’s exactly why I’m going into medicine.

What I’m saying is that, I think if a designer walked into their bosses office and made the same statement the outcome might not be as positive. Especially since there are so many recent college grads working at fast food joints with design degrees from top notch schools. I love designing but after seeing so many talented people suffer I began to question is this business really worth it.

quit tomorrow
you will feel great
I assure you
it will all work out

What, you after his job or something?

Don’t quit until you have something else… and in writing.

This is gonna seem a bit abstract, but stay with me on it. Recently I learned about this concept called " The Law of Attraction: That which is like unto itself is drawn." We recognize this law when we use expressions like " Birds of a feather flock together. " We also acknowledge it as we notice that people of like mindsets or behaviors seem to hang out together.

The interesting thing is that this law also applies to our thoughts. Whatever you give your attention to will start the attraction of other thoughts like it. If you give most of your attention to aspects of your current situation that aren’t pleasing, you will draw other thoughts unto you that build and reinforce your disappointment. It is also most likely that even if you leave your current situation, you will most likely attract a very simular situation in your new setting. This is because happiness is a mindset. It’s not a person, place, situation or thing.

I’d suggest, focusing on the positive aspects of where you currently stand, and spend time thinking about how you want your experience to develope. Don’t take action until you feel positive emotion about your current circumstances, and then the action you take will give you the results you want.

In short, if you jump ship feeling negative about your current situation, you’ll attract other negative situations. If you jump ship feeling positive emotion about your current situation, you’ll attract another positive situation. It may sound weird, but it’s true.

:slight_smile:

These days, loyalty goes both ways. If your employeer is loyal to you it’s only fair you are loyal back. Loyalty can be worked out in employee contract negotiations. Such as pay, time off, flex-time etc.

If your employer shows no appreciation, is verbaly abusive, complains when you ask for time off (within reason) - I would bolt.

In short, if you are treated right, I wouldn’t suggest leaving. Not in todays market. If the competition “buys” you, be assured, they will work you hard to recover the cash invested.

There is also the cultural change in people, process and productivity.

Bill

I left a job where I felt like I was undervalued and being exploited $-wise. But I stayed for two years because I was learning a lot of new skills, making professional contacts, and liked my coworkers. I saw people apply to my firm, essentially offering to work for nothing - for a good entry-level design job, the competitiion is fierce. When I left, I had enough experience (including some project management) to find a position with better pay. It was frusturating to stay, but worth it for me.

If you aren’t learning anything, find a job where you are and make sure you know what you are worth in you area before you accept an offer. Check with local trade organizations - they keep stats on all that stuff.

Yes, the above writer is correct. Try to stay as long as possible. I am working a job that is boring. However, I’m working.

The idea of working with the little bit that you do have is a good one. When I get depressed at work, I just look out the window, watch the birds fly, and think in a couple of months I will have my own business. I have learned the hard way, always have a plan B, C, D, E… ect. Everyone here is right, please keep your job unless you have no other alternative. Today, we literally have to “Work for Food” (crumbs, table scraps, leftover pizza).

I think you understand.