How is a Verner Panton 'Topan Pendant' made?

I am doing an assignment for my materials and processes class where we have to find out the manufacturing process’ of various products.
I am struggling to find manufacturing information on one of my chosen products, it is a Verner Panton - Topan Pendant lamp shade.The lampshade is made from polished aluminium with a cream enamelled surface on the inside.
I am thinking it is spun moulded using a split part mould but am wondering how they would remove it from the mould, given that it would have “undercuts” trapping it on the mould. Could it have been “air-spun”?

Any suggestions on how it could be made would be great, these lamps were first manufactured in the 1960’s.

Probably a split mold like this from google book results on metal spinning.

I also recall seeing diagrams of center offset, internal mandrels that only contact the working side and can be easily extracted.

+1 for nxakt, that sounds about spot on

Actually, they aren’t manufactured at all!

They’re mined from the earth, graded for correct size, and then polished. :sunglasses:

Wow that’s great Nxakt, so many possibilities with the mould having a core, thanks!

Yea that book looks brilliant, our lecturer has copy which he showed us and recommended we get.

Topaz…?

Lmo wrote:

Actually, they aren’t manufactured at all!

They’re mined from the earth, graded for correct size, and then polished. > :sunglasses:

Topaz…?

No Paz … it’s a wise-a.ss response from a design professor I had years ago to a question that I had about a seemingly impossible manufacturing process; how were “undercut” details formed on a vacuum-formed refrigerator door-liner. I’ve used it many times over the years. Feel free to use it yourself any time. :wink:

In my particular case the question was how a 1/4" high “lip” that ran across the bottom of each shelf was able to be formed. In the example below, it is the egg-recesses; they are undercut from the direction of pull. A spring-loaded, flip-up section of the mold was the answer. Close inspection of the part will reveal “witness lines” of the joint in the mold. The section would flip-up when the part was pulled after forming; springs pulled it back down for the next cycle.