how i plan to design my portfolio...

i just had this idea and i wnt to share it with you and read your opinion.

I plan to place each project into a 20x30cm PP zip bag (the “project” will be seperated in 10x15cm look like photographs pieces attached on cardboard. There will be about 6-8 in each bag) and add a label on it with all the info about the project. I hope it makes sense… :frowning:

is it too much?

i do not mean to make it complex in order to show off but i am not satisfied with the “artistic” result of my a3 sized all in one boards…It is hard for me to compose 3d designs, sketches, models in a single piece.

thank you

p.s. it addresses to a ma course

Sorry, don’t quite understand. Perhaps you can sketch it out?

For me, I just keep to letter size. Easy to carry around, not too big, not too small, and page size ratio is easy to work with.

I’m not really sure I understand you 100%. It sounds like you’re organizing your projects by placing them in “bags.” This to me sounds like you’re trying to hard. As the old saying goes, “Keep it simple, stupid.” This certainly applies to portfolio design. If a potential interviewer/employer has to fuss around with opening bags and removing boards, etc. you’ve lost them already. Nobody wants to do that. They’re busy and don’t have time. Come up with a clean page layout and put the pages into a quality portfolio.

Personally, I would consider losing a physical portfolio altogether. Take your electronic images and compile them in a PDF or Powerpoint presentation. This way, you can project them in a conference room, etc., and everyone can see what you’re talking about. Too many times interviews are conducted by more than a few people at a time, making it hard for them to huddle around your physical portfolio.

i placed a sketch in my coroflot account…

i do know and advised before to keep my folio simple…so i do not forget that but i wonder if this layout could work…

thank you both![/img]

I get what you’re trying to do, but why exactly a zip bag?

I personally am not digging this whole bag idea…I think cards with images will be all out of order after someone looks through them for the first time, not a good thing for story telling. A bag will not provide enough protection, cards might get bent, corners will get nasty very quickly…So, are you going to have several bags? For each project? Are you going to put all your bags in a bigger bag?
Plus…when you say a zip bag, the first thing that pops in my head is that little pink glad bag that I put my sandwiches for lunch in…I reuse it a couple of times and throw it away. i don’t think you want your portfolio to be treated as a thing that you throw away right after you’re done using it…Although i’m aware of nicer thicker bags. i still don’t think it’s a good idea.

[/i]

melovescookies, :laughing: the first thing that pops in my head is that little pink glad bag that I put my sandwiches for lunch in

the bags i have found are colorless transparent…

I am aware of the potential damages you mention once i had a prior relevant experience. I do plan to use several bags (approx. 12) and place all of them into cardboard box.

I reuse it a couple of times and throw it away. i don’t think you want your portfolio to be treated as a thing that you throw away right after you’re done using it

I do not know a lot about portfolio review…i thought that a portfolio will be reviewd once or twice by a board and then thrown away…am i wrong? does it have to be that durable?

there is a fine line between making something good and something completely crap. As i said in a previous post, i am unable to make a single a3 board for each project with a nice layout…my weakness…

thanks!

In my coroflot portfolio i have palced 2 samples of the portfolio i want to make. The one is a regular a3 size board (it sucks!) and the other one is about what i plan to do.

any feedback is more than welcomed!

You are not posting the correct link. The link you posted is only available with your user name and login.

here is the correct one…

thannx laureng

Before you go with your idea you need to think about how you are going to present your work. It looks like it could be a bit awkward.

I have always had to deal with the issue of 3D items in my portfolio. When I was a toy designer I used a 14" x 17" portfolio and duffel type suitcase (red) to carry all my samples. It worked well.

Now I am using the same portfolio but carry a much smaller bag with samples. (I’m a graphic designer now.) My samples are much smaller (books, brochures, etc.) For my larger posters or packaging I just take a photo of them in context as well as show the work (flat) in smaller scale to fit my book.

You might think about using polyethylene bags instead of polypropylene. Polypro has that waxy finish and will make the contents look dull.

laureng, thank you for your comments and prepositions.

The portfolio will not be presented by me (i will send it directly to the university to review it). I do realize that the bag thing will take them more time to asses it. Have you seen the a3 style layout i have posted in my portfolio? Do you think it looks ok? I think that everything is mixed up whereas the bag style will organize things better.

thanks for your time

Yes I did see your layout sketch.

If that’s the case then I still think you should consider taking photographs of the 3D stuff. Keep the presentation flat and easy to turn pages. You can even place your sketches in the portfolio.

I do realize that the bag thing will take them more time to asses it.

This is not a good thing. Make it easy for them.

i’ll see what i can do…

thanks again!

Give up on the bag idea! I know you’re trying to make yourself and your work stand out to potential employers, but I really think it’s going to have the opposite effect. Having to rummage thru a bag to assess someones skills is going to take considerably more time than just flipping thru a bound book, or scrolling thru a PDF file on a CD.

I applaud your creativity, but put that energy into the work inside of the portfolio, not the portfolio itself!

bearcat, i see your point and i agree…The prob is that i am not satisfied with my layout abilities and i believe that by using these bags i will better organize my work (even if it sound odd to most of you :cry: ). i have uploaded a new sample of my din a3 board effort in

(2nd pic in case that someone wants to share his opinion…)

thank you.