Does anybody know what program(s) or filters are used to create images like this? I’ve been seeing a trend of this type of controlled choas graphic design and it’s great eye candy.

oops, forgot to add…

click on wallpaper, then digital wallpaper.

i dont know if its the same kind of thing, but go to
click on ‘vertical’ or horizontal’ and look at the lighting effects, ive always wanted to know how to do this…

its mainly just random 3d objects done in a 3d program, ( a lot of them) going back in space. they make a pretty random composition with boxes etc. they then render it out & bring it into photoshop where they colors are fucked with. after that, they overlay some other random images to dirty it up, then random painting in areas to add/remove depth where needed. It really isn’t hard to do. experiment with layer modes in photoshop and youll be along in no time.

look at the complex lighting in a lot of them…much more then f*ucking with the colors…

It could be 3d modeling image. But I have also seen some Photoshop wiz-kids back in school (4 years ago now) accomplish similar effects by creating and manipulating multiple alpha channels. I will try to find the tutorial that one of them gave me and post it. It will help all the ID people too because it allows you to create shadows and make them appear to lay on a 3d form. I believe the tutorial was from one of the “down and dirty tips and trick for Photoshop” books.

from what I’ve seen it’s pretty much what poopface says. some use 3-d programs with a basic light source as an underlay. Others use actual photos of city scenes, junkyards, etc. The various layers are added on with lower opacities. Those layers are skewed to make them converge. The more they overlap, the darker + more complex those areas are. Add in the random strokes, gaussian blur. Some do strokes + patterns seperately in illustrator. Then put in pshop, add your glow or blur, then skew it to go with the same perspective. Mix in sharp elements to be the part in focus. Bigger elements around the edges, gaussian blur them to make them seem very close to the camera.
Check out some Rave flyers if you can find any left, they’ve been doing similar stuff for years.
If you look at the bless walker and go to digital paper, then look at one of them on the right, divinity 04. aAt the bottom there’s a cylinder with a rod coming out of one side. Probably a photo from a construction shop or something. You’ll see the exact same thing at the top upside down. Who knows how many times he just overlayed the image and skewed it. There are some really faint 3-d blocks underlayed that you can see repeated in some of his other pictures more clearly. That’s probably from a 3-d program. Other things like some of the lightning effects, etc…there are some 3rd-party photoshop filters that do those things.

There’s a magazine currently out “The complete adobe photoshop handbook 3” that has 1 or 2 examples of this look and how to do it. It’ll cost you $20 at borders (it’s imported).

Andreas Lindholm is credited with making this style famous, then the Attik did some cool stuff back in '99 or so, but today its just so damned tired…

Thank you for shedding some light on the subject cg. So, if you think this technique is so damn tired, would you share with me what graphic techniques you think are new and forthcoming? Just curious, because I thought this was new, but I guess I’m not up to date. Thanks.
BTW - Attik has a nice site.

Well thats a loaded question if I ever saw one.

If your question is what techniques are new, I immediately think of the interactive design work of people like John Maeda or Joshua Davis (Praystation.) I think that interactive or synthesized art is influencing a current generation of chaotic design. On the flipside, I think that the “forced” mechanical look of the web is bleeding over into graphic design as well. The recent redesign of ID magazine is a great example, where they’re using underlined fonts (horrors!) Their “/letters” section even looks like it came right out of a TypePad blog, with dotted dividers, long columns and rational typography.

However in terms of whats popular, the obvious answer is the vector-art (illustrator) crossed with punk-rock DIY aesthetic. Ie. Messy Illustrator with lots of gaudy hawaiian influenced gradients, floral motifs and spray-paint.