how did u guys decided what u want to do?

actually i’m the person who want to study Fine art before but some how i just choose to do design course this year. before i was interested at design little bits but i didn’t know anything about desing. painting was only thing i’m used to, so i was scared but now i’m really enjoying my course, i thought design course isgoing to be using computer and high technique all the time. it wasn’t like that . it’s really diferent as high school they teach you how to think how to get idea not just teachig hoe to draw.
so back to the topic, now i know i’m really like design but still can’t decide waht sort of design i want to do. there are heaps of kinfd of design…
actually i’m interested in everything. when i see interesting things then i feel want to do that and when i see another i change my mine . i’m that kind of person. so what im trying say is i want to hear it from you guy!!!
leave lots of massage guys!! :wink:

so back to the topic, now i know i’m really like design but still can’t decide waht sort of design i want to do. there are heaps of kinfd of design…
actually i’m interested in everything. when i see interesting things then i feel want to do that and when i see another i change my mine .

It sounds great.
You seem like a person who are into Arts. Not just into styling, copying and pasting or expressing, but experimenting and thinking.

I think one’s sensuality is given. Unlike the academic aesthetic that we are learning, the six sense is what’s really inside you.
You look at something and you have this power to see it (object, person or situation) from many different points of view. Not just physically but conceptually and alternatively.

Thinking process and expression must go together in Fine Arts, but in Design which I am still in my baby step also, that it takes something more*? to be accomplished. The ability to understand the needs and the effects. The reason you are doing things/ the reason why you are making these objects/ the reason to understand humanity as larger view.
The ability to guide and follow at the same time, and also the ability to use tools to communicate with people who don’t have similar sensibilities. The ability to blend things as well as make things clear.

Learn drawings, photography, computer graphics, crafting, performance all important, but I also belive in reasons and questions. As a part of tiny structure in the society, what am I and how can I contribute to the others? If I am not worth while, is it the end or beginning? What can I do with design? Is it my pure urge, lust for fame, money or bit of light on the shoulder? Asking things are the MUST for studying both arts and design.
Good luck to you as well as to myself.

I used to do installation art and drawings and stuffs but I enjoyed them as stress relief than anything else, so I’ve never thought of doing them as what my life will be based on. On the other hand, I like to make gadgets to solve little daily problems.

I thought I know what design was when I was in highschool. Then I had a new understanding when I was freshman, and a newer understanding after the first internship, and then the second internship and… I don’t know what’s next. It evolves with time and experience, so I can’t say I know it at all!

You have your entire life to experience most of it. So far (16 years) I have been a product designer (toys) game designer (video and board) web designer and now graphic (mostly print including packaging) designer… I have had formal training in all 3 disaplines.

BTW my first degree was in Fine Art/sculpture.

You don’t know what kind of fields will open up in the years to come. No web design back in the 80’s when I was first in school. Just get educated… and try different things. This is how you will find out what you like or like the best.

I knew that I wanted to do something in the art field. Went to school as a Graphics major. At the end of my freshman year, I was fortunate to see Toby Thompson, FIDSA give a presentation on ID. His passion and excitement was crazy. I knew then…and said…“I want to do that”.

so it mean i don’t need to get stress by finding my interests!!
so i will find somthing someday!!
i feel really good!!
everyone got different experiences!!
It’s really interesting!!
i like to hear more about it from others!!
guy! don’t be hesitated to write!! thanx!! :smiley: