How cools was the CONNECTIONS conf. in SF

For the most part I thought the speakers were great. My highlights being Naoto Fukasawa, Richard Seymour, Branko Lukic, and whoever the guy was that talked about the “Earth sanwhich”. It was super inspiring for me. Although, I made a few bad choices during the breakout sessions, everything was uber cool. The parties were off the hook too. Thanks Core77, I had a great time at yours. By the way, what was the name of that semi-freaky band that was playing?

Was ZeFrank at the Connecting conference?

Grrrrrrrr…so bitter.

extra action marching band.

Yes, I agree with Coledf - conference was great! Powell was great. Sir Ken Robinson, and Roger Martin also gave excellent presentations. Sir Ken’s was very entertaining, and though provoking. Martin’s, while a bit drier, was full of good information.

Core Party was great (Thanks!) - other than trying to get a cab outta there when they put everyone on the street at the same time.

Only real complaint is that I am sick of green/sustainable - at least sick of it getting lipservice as a catchphrase or buzzword, followed by contentless or not-adequately developed presentations. Maybe the material presented was more useful to the corporate attendee? But, as a consultant, it would be nice to get some real-world usable information and profitable-business-case examples to bring home and share with clients.

Overall though - good stuff! Nice work IDSA!

I agree. I was a little put off when i found out the break out sessions for sustainability(at least the ones I attended) were just sales pitches by plastics companies. No real insight into how to get the ball rolling on this whole sustainability thing on a corp. level or consultancy level. I know that there are materials out there that can be recycled, big whoop if the products arent designed in a way that promotes the user to do such a thing its still just a heap of trash at the end. I really was lookijng for some insight or at aleast a dialogue that might help to get things moving in that direction, not just what is available materialwise.

For myself and many people I have talked to it was…too much. Too much information, too much partying, too much networking…

And this is not a bad thing :slight_smile:

Too much information, too much partying, too much networking…

Is this possible? Too much is just right!

Just like the mechanical advice I’ve been given before - “tighten it till it strips, then back it off 1/4 turn…”

Great reviews.
Did anyone have a comment on the Mimes, the hotel, the gallery layout, the badge location, the escheresque subterenean labyrinth or the people in silver suits?

It was definitely overwhelming in that sense. Of course the partying didnt help me pay attention more but in some ways helped me network better. Its kind of a catch22 or ying yang if you will.

I am sick of green/sustainable - at least sick of it getting lipservice as a catchphrase or buzzword, followed by contentless or not-adequately developed presentations

Ditto. I felt a sense of duty to traipse from one of those eco-blahs to the next in the hope that maybe the next one will be better… Instead of coming out with a better idea about how to be a better eco-designer I only ended up envious about missing some of the better breakout sessions.

I have to say though, the conference was otherwise excellent. Yes, there was ‘too much choice’, but that is a heap better than the opposite. Kudos to Bill Moggridge and the IDSA for pulling off the event of the year.

I’d hate to follow that act.