How cool is that?

Well my cake example was a bit poor, what I mean is that if people hoard resources, instead of sharing them, it’s going to generate conflict. And sharing does not cause shortages. Convince me otherwise. If a city,for example supplied cars for it’s citizens to use freely, they probably wouldn’t have so many them idling in parking lots, being good for nothing. It’s access to a car that people need, not owning one. The same applies to almost everything else. Just imagine the amount of resources saved there.

Let’s roll a bit with the cakes and pie…
Now, if people want pie as well, and the resources to make both pie and cake are not enough, then we have a problem. And to solve problems we apply science to arrive at the best solution than it can be found. If at the end of the study, cake is better than pie or vice-versa(proven with scientific facts) then the pie/cake guy will have to be reasonable and live with no pie/cake, or come up with a better alternative, like a cake-pie hybrid :laughing: .
So you can’t demand something just because…
You need reasons and proof that your demand is better, unless you talk at brainwashed people. Even that is done today (yes both!).
I realize we are talking of extremes here, but for resources to become so scarce that people can’t have both cake and pie is very unlikely from my point of view. Things don’t just disappear, we transform them. In fact, the scarcity of any raw material is only as relevant as the amount of work being invested into finding a substitute or workaround.
More important than substitutes and workarounds is the very nature of our usage of the planetary resources. This is really the most important point in the debate regarding the carrying capacity of the earth, the sustainability of our practices and future generations. As I’ve noted before, the world’s people function within a monetary system that rewards scarcity, planned obsolescence, waste, pollution and multiplicity.Remember, the monetary system can only work if there is ‘cyclical consumption’. This leads to resource abuse.

I agree, but really those are just problem solving practices that are applied to the market by a company in order to maximize profits and maintain the competitive edge (survival basically), those who don’t, fall and are usually left behind. The monetary system is nothing more than a game… and an outdated and dysfunctional one at that.

Try coming outside of your fantasy world…
The current economic system is falling apart. Governmental bailouts, stimulus packages, massive debts to who knows who… Simultaneously, we are courting the “point of no return” in regard to the destruction of the environment.
Our current methods of social conduct have proven to have no chance in resolving the problems of environmental destruction, human conflict, poverty, corruption and any other issue that reduces the possibility of collective human sustainability on our planet. How can capitalism (which is already their system) be their best and brightest hope?
It isn’t and we have to evolve beyond it.

If you want to get into how ancient Rome fell, money and it’s usage, check this movie 1st, I wont bother with it here. It’s very well explained, even though it’s a cartoon.

These intrinsic qualities are what’s driving scientific and technological progress. They allow us to find substitutes. There’s no alternative for them in the participatory economics model. If we truly live in a world of abundance where there are enough resources for everyone’s needs, then the no money, committee-ocracy will work great - for about 5 minutes. This is truly non-sustainable. I don’t believe, nor will ever believe this type of system will result in any innovation to provide for future generations.

The current economic system is recovering and the single biggest reason why we never saw World War III is because all major countries embraced capitalism.

I don’t have time to watch your economics lesson but I will try to view it this weekend. In the meantime. I will stay out of my fantasy land if you do the same. Retro-futuristic makes for great design but it’s not so great for an economic system.

For anybody wondering what I mean when I refer to participatory economics: a neo-anachist system proposed to replace capitalism

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Participatory_economics