how can we use tsunami waves(energy)?

could you please throw some brain … like we can use it for tidal power plants!

hollywood probably has the best solution to your request.

Tsunami don’t happen everyday!? ( last one recorded to be so deadly was like decades ago.)
60,000 people had died and u are thinking how to make cash out of this?
you’re so cold…

it’s 70,000 death now…

I think it is good that someone is trying to think of ways to make life better by using the power of a natural catastrophe. Nebula never mentions making money on this.

As the first Guest mentions, tsunamis are far too rare to be used as a power generater. They are typically years apart, and can happen anywhere. When I lived in Florida in 1998 (?) there was a tsunami that hit Daytona Beach at night, at least that is what it seemed to be. Other notables are the one that hit Anchorage in the '50’s.

There are ways to harness tidal power though. You could just build something like a dam that would allow the tide to flow in, then when the tide is out, run that water through generators. Something similar has already been considered, but probably bean counters have axed them.

Iceland uses steam from geologic heat to produce electricity and heat homes. Anywhere you have tectonic plates hitting, you will have vast quantities of energy. I’m sure someone could develop a way to use some of that thermal power, or potential energy to create usable power. I’m not sure what the effects would be though.

Of interest is in terms of water power would be Canada. In Quebec 97% of our electricity is from hydroelectric plants. 3% nuclear. Of course Canada has 90% of the world’s freshwater but only 32 million people. That helps. Also check out the Chinese Three Gorges Dam. I think it is the largest hydro project ever.

some high school kid won 100,000$ scholarship for college for inventing a floating gyroscope. it floats on the ocean surface and spins as the sinusoidal wave motion rocks it. this spinning could then be used to generate electricity. crazy eh?

some high school kid won 100,000$ scholarship for college for inventing a floating gyroscope. it floats on the ocean surface and spins as the sinusoidal wave motion rocks it. this spinning could then be used to generate electricity. crazy eh?

i’d say it’s been pretty effective, so, in lightening the load of the ecosystem.

100,000 souls isn’t exactly the equivalent of say, new york city, but it’s a start… . . . . now if we could just dial up a 9 point oh every two or three weeks we’d be on to something.

i think its a powered device. not like you suggest. gyro spins using a motor. as buoy moves the gyro tries to maintain orientation. apparently he devised way to capture the force in the reaction. not sure how. saw the news report on this. sounds like a “lossy” process.

might not be “lossy” if the device is magnetic only. could spin it with battery. levitates so theres no friction. and at large scale the flywheel could be huge. ratios go up. so does efficiency. that makes sense now. was thinking small buoys. these would be big.

thanks for bringing this up. hadnt thought about it lately.

Thanx Mr-914.
There are many currents of water flowing through sea in many parts of ocean (world weather controlled by those!); could be used to run generators!
Tsunami will add a toast!
Tsunamis are unpredictable…so are the Earthquakes…but still we build quake resistant civil structures…why not power plants.
Yep…I know it’s a costly matter…but we are storming brain…!!!

So you generate power off these huge floating turbines…what next batteries or run submerged cables. Too many hassles the answer is in the sky, solar is much easier to trap and photovoltaic cells are getting more and more efficient all the time.
when somebody mentioned magnets for frictionless rotation I thought to myself about super conductors and what the fuck ever happend to what when first discovered was claimed to be what hydrogen fuel cell technology is presently i.e. science and marketing departments claiming victory before the kick off.

by the way i think it is way too close to discuss this tradgedy objectively.

BUSH give more cash to tsunami and pull the hell out of Iraq before we have to pull you out of hell!

ykh…do you have any links/info on that project? i can’t find anything and am curious how it was set up…

after i saw tv news i thought the same as you. sounded too simple. figured it had to be more. found this. doesnt explain much. but mentions how the gyro figures in. clever kid.

They destroyed our lands, took our people, shattered a thousand dreams.
If what nebula thinks is actually possible in the real world, its the next best thing to payback.
nebula -------> Designers really think a lot different from the rest of the world.[/quote]