How can it be done?

Hello everyone.

I want to print british flag over the vase. But how long the art work should be, so that it prints evenly around the circular surface from top to bottom. Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers.

This depends on your rendering tool. All rendering tools have different ways of applying textures, but this should be pretty easy.

Build a texture of what you want and throw it on and see what you get. You can use the dimensions of your vase as a base for the texture size, but the size doesn’t matter as much as the aspect ratio (width to height)

Thnx cyberdemon,

Vase is 210mm in height and botton diameter is 70mm and top openining is 30mm. So if I want to print british flag all around it the size of the graphics should be 210mm in height but how can I find width so that the artwork rolls around the surface evenly. Since vase tapers at the top. sorry if I am asking something stupid.

Thank You.

Unless you pre-distort the flag you’re always going to have a messy seam because you’re trying to wrap a rectangular image around a tapering, curvy profile. So if you can accept that, Cyberdemon is certainly right about the ratio being the most important thing. You have the height, and to get the width revisit basic circle equations (circumference = 2 * pi * radius = pi * diameter = your width). I’d pick your largest diameter as the one to use, then just put the seam in the back of the vase for the render.

If that doesn’t work for you, pre-distorting the image in Photoshop beforehand may give you better results. Basically, you’d need to pinch the image where your vase profile pinches such that at each elevation the width of the flag is equal to the circumference. I’ve done something like this before, but in my case the shape was more linear. I’m not sure the best way to do this in the photoshop version you have, try googling for some tutorials and mostly messing around with the tools. If this is going to be physically produced you’ll need to directly translate the profile from CAD to the image, but if it’s just a render then getting close (using Liquify or something) will likely look good if the seam is in the back. I’m not sure how or if it’s possible with your CAD, but if you can unwrap the surface to lay it out flat in an image for a template that’d help a lot, otherwise take some measures and make a rough approximation in illustrator or something.

PS - next time put something more descriptive in your discussion title

You have posted this question before; I moved it to the Materials & Processes forum.

Rather than post a “new” question about the same subject, please “continue” your original thread, it’s much easier to follow.