How best to increase the grip of PVC

Hi Guys

I was hoping a few of you might be able to help me out.

I have recently developed a new product that incorporates an inflated PVC bladder (rotational molded). I need to increase the grip levels (i.e. increase the coefficient of friction) when in contact with laminate flooring.

Does anyone have any information on what PVC additives / composition improves the grip? or could point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

• Do you have any options for changing the surface texture of your part with molded features?
  • What PVC resin are you currently or planning on using?
  • What durometer is the molded PVC?

Thanks for the reply.

• We do have the ability to change the surface texture of the mold but I have tried a few different patterns and this has not increased the levels of grip.
  • The PVC composition is (this is all the details I can get from the factory):
    PVC 90%
    oil 3%
    plasticizer 4%
    pigment 0.5%
    other 2.5%
  • The SRIS readings are 60-65.

Does anyone know any additives that can be used to increase the grip?
Or any further advice would be gladly received.
Thanks

Assuming your supplier has provided the PVC pellets for the highest grip, you could try a corona treatment. I have never done it but in theory it would increase the surface tension of the PVC and that, again in theory, would increase its coefficient of friction. Should be relatively cheap to find if my theory holds any water.

4% plasticizer doesn’t mean much actually… the chemical nature of the plasticizer being spec’d directly affects durometer. (Shore A, lower values (20-40) are often described as “sticky”).

Different plasticizers yield different plasticization effects because of the differences in the strengths of the plasticizer-polymer
and plasticizer-plasticizer interactions.

Read this.

Subscription services that will identify and locate materials are available. Prospector is one such service. I would also suggest that you contact some PVC resin supplies and discuss your product’s mechanical requirements with them personally. If you are thinking “additives” they will have to be formulated into the resin at the manufacturers facility… it isn’t really a pinch-of-this added to a hopper kind of process. You’ll probably be looking at hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds of material to get what you want (if they don’t have a “stock” formula).

In my experience, advice is only worth what you pay for it… . .

Welcome to the boards aamurph!!

You are correct, 4% is a considerable amount. But you miss my point.

I was suggesting that it is what you are using as the plasticizer, as much as/more the the amount used, that affects the outcome.