how about marine & aviation design?

Dear all,

I was wondering if among the huge crowd of automotive fans (which I totally understand being that my starting point) ther are here also people actively involved (here I mean seriously at professional level) into the marine and aviation (whether for VIP or commercial aviation) business.

There are of course several differences between automotive and aviation for example, but it is a fact that in the interiors field there are a lot of exchanges from one field to the other and vice versa. Look at the Premium passengers area for instance. Many airlines just try to give to the F/C pax the same feeling the he gets while driving in his Aston Martin.

Has anyone of you experience in such field?
I would like to start some more frequent discussions about these less popular transportation sectors!

Cheers!

Quite possibly, mid end marine is in a void at the moment. I would say boats rated for 6-12 people.

Look at any boat that has been owned for 1-2 years and it looks like the dash of a neon at Wal-mart.

Stuff is everywhere; lifejackets can’t be found, coolers are the nuisance, and wires for misc gadgets are not routed yet… -if ever.

As an id professional, there are huge strides to be made even if you do not agree with the glitter bassboat lifestyle.

potentially, the easiest niche to make a mark in.

Ikarus and Mod, I’d like to join in to this topic too, as well as support it.

potentially, the easiest niche to make a mark in.

I don’t know if that is really true Mod. In the past year there has been a lot of rumbling about “Professional Licensing” in the industry. In an industry (pleasure boats) that has grown from self-taught designer-builders, the trend is now, is largely driven by “Professional Engineers” entrenched in National sanctioning bodies. A more-business-for-us mentality I think.

I heartily agree with you that ID is woefully missing from most marine design … especially at the pleasure craft level. But there is certainly no lack of it at the “Custom Yacht Level”. If one is spending five milllion dollars of their “pocket cruiser” the budget usually includes ID’s.

The problem, IMO, is that the market is not big enough for most manufacturers to be able to “afford” the services of ID’s, especially on-staff designers…

An industrial design agency directed toward providing support to Marine Architects might be a niche, but I’m afraid that they (Mas)are the “very ones” who are advocating “professioanl licensure” and might find it hard to justifiy a “lowly” designer making suggestions as to how “they” should designer “their” boats. One-man offices, and big egos are rampant in the marine biz…

Here are a few sites I like to visit:

http://www.ibinews.com/ibinews/index.html

www.proboat.com

www.boatdesign.net

The weekend warrior type and the yacht type person are two different breeds. I believe Brunswick has bought up many companies that make boats for the pre-yacht crowd.

To me, the pre-yacht crowd is a successful nuevo-rich wanna be that has the need to impress his new friends. His personal mantra is “I got the money and I can’t take it with me”.

It is almost like training wheels for that customer. Eventually, that guy will graduate into a fancy custom yacht but he needs to cut his teeth on an enrty level boat first.

While ID might be used in cabin design for the pre-yacht boats,
ID is not really going for the ski boat/fishing boat crowd.

I think that is the area with the most potential for improvement.

maybe another que for pleasure boats is the guy that has the money but can’t store it at his house.

I personally know midwesterners that would gladly store their boats in Canada if they could.

Near the end of season last year I saw a newer method of outdoor storage. The boat was shrink wraped with blue protective plastic.

Marine packaging design… gotta love it!

:)ensen.