Horrible logo - NRJ radio

Maybe someone from Europe can help me with this logo. I feel it is the most god-awful radio logo I’ve seen from a big network.

NRJ is a big European network that has licensed their name to a network in Canada. The billboards went up last week here in Montreal. At first, I thought, “Why is a soccer team from New Jersey advertising here?”. Then I realized it was for a radio station. What is that thing on it? A panther…a ghost? Why is it there? Ugh.

I have to take some photos of the billboards. they are incredibly bad too.

WOW!! I have see some bad ones, but that has to be one of the worst. I was with you at first. I thought it was something having to do with NJ and I live in Jersey. Almost looks like the panther thing is morphing into some scary satanic dagger :smiling_imp: . What kind of music is this for. It is kind of business on the top and rocker on the bottom. Hmmm kind of like the mullet. I really don’t know what to say about this other than, that it is really really really bad.

Hahaha, this is the most awful network you can imagine. They have about 4 commercial songs in their playlist, which they play on and on and on and on and on… I have never thought about the logo, it could be the most awesome piece of GD, but it wouldn’t matter since even a thought of this brand makes me violently punch air.

I always thought this was a Swedish network, but that is very likely to be wrong. Anyhow, in Swedish it’s pronounced “energy” (eN eR Jy). Perhaps that is their cue for the wildcat…

Engio: A search on google images will bring this logo up on about the 8th page:

Also, there are about a million really busy posters for different NRJ events. BTW, in french, it is pronounced “enn-ar-gee”, like energy. It is replacing a network called Energie in Montreal. That was another uber-bland top 40 station. I love how they are now marketing it as “Méchante Radio”. That translates to nasty or naughty radio. I can’t think of anything nastier than top 40. Wow…really creative folks.

I think the logo follows suit, what’s the problem? The problem is that you’re forced to look at it in public. Compared to a large percentage of the public advertising in the US that is complete garbage at least this logo is crafted well on a technical level, even if it doesn’t make any sense.

I agree. The more you look at it the worse it gets. It’s got a bit of everything:

Adobe faux reflectance
red = hot
3D text
text on grid + saucy off grid text
black on white
white on black
mean mascot (with human proportion forearms)
Claws! Teeth!
An effin huge blood red dot

Here’s what I like about it:

colours are nice and catchy
complete disassociation of the mascot from the name; only the Japanese do it better, usually intentionally humerous.
creative mascot chimera: a panther lizard, maybe it’s a pizard?