Help with comparisons of RISD, RIT and Cincinnati

I was looking at Rochester Institute of Technology for its program in graphic design and especially new media design for my daughter. Can anyone tell me about it, and how it compares to schools like Univ of Cincinnati and RISD in work quality, placement, and academics?

RISD has, argueably, the best graphics program in the country.

That being said, at 5X in-state tuition is it really five times a better education? I doubt even the most ardent supporter could prove it was.

Not that cost should drive the decision-making process, but a passionate student will create a succesful career from any decent school.

On the whole, RIT is probably a better University than UC, but DAAP’s co-op program creates the highest graduation placement percentage for designers in the country.

Does anyone else have any knowledge of RIT vs. UC vs RISD for new media or graphic design?

i am an junior in ID at DAAP. I have friends in both graphic and digital design(new media)

currently both are seperate majors. both doing quite well. when you compare risd and daap… its comparing good vs. good.

i think that the co-op program wins out. and would argue that the graphic faculty at uc is second to none… look them up… robert probst, gordon salchow and joe batoni all are professors of graphic design at daap… probst happens to be the head of the school of design (all great guys that have made tremendous professional impacts on the field of GD).

secondly the digital program is the first of its kind at a design school in the states… i believe there are other programs catching on, but daap’s was the first.

i currently have friends interning for warner brothers working both in web media and cinematography… it is a very versitile major that gives you the opportunity to explore anywhere from stardard web graphics and 3d modeling through film and motion art. this discipline definitely is grounded in basic design principles.

both the graphic and digital worlds are beginning to overlap and it is of my understanding that the two majors will begin to carry “crossover” courses as printed and virtual media begin to have equal importance for both digital and graphic designers.

anyway… bottom line… if you get into daap… you’re gonna get a grounded education, with real world experience (and lots of it) and facilities that will enhance all of your creativity.

the other schools are both nice places with a lot of potential to be offered but in my biased opinion daap is a wonderful place to be.

good luck

I can’t really comment on UC’s graphics/media dept., as I’m a UC graduate of industrial design. However, UC’s co-op program is arguably the best (and also the first) in the country, and that is reason enough to strongly consider the program.

hey bearcat n Daapheartthrob …

ne comments on the Masters program … I will be doing Mdes next fall in product design … :bulb:

I graduated from RITs ID program and had a roommate in the New Media Program. I can’t comment too much on the program as I was not new media student, but I can tell you about RIT design in general.

RIT is a competitive school with a rigerous schedule. The quarter system does add pressure, but I find now as a professional that tight deadlines don’t bother me as much because I dealt with them as a student. Also, class size is very small in most of the design classes. Of the Design majors, Graphic Design is the largest and I believe the New Media major is the smallest.

One advantage I found (and I’m not sure if this is a major benefit to a new media designer) is that RIT has a diverse population. Because it is a “technical” school, you interact with business majors, Engineers, Criminal Justice Majors, Photo Majors, and Bio Science Majors. The wealth and breadth of knowledge and information on campus is incredible. Don’t let the “technical” name fool you though, RIT also has a very active art population, as does the Rochester NY area in general.

Other things to consider:

Rochester weather sucks.
The area is reasonably priced and friendly to college kids… lots to do, and not just Bars.
The campus is freshman friendly. You don’t need a car freshman year, however after freshman year you really do, because most students move off campus.

Best advice? Have your daughter visit the schools once or twice. Try to go when it isn’t a recruitment weekend… they all put on big shows then. Go during a regular weekday if possible, you’ll get a better feel for the students and life on campus.

Yes, we just visited RIT and REALLY liked it. This is why I am wondering how good the design program is.

Also, my daughter does NOT live in Ohio. Thus, out of state tuition rates would apply to UC and, of course, all other noted schools

Have you visited DAAP?
earning roughly $15 - $20/hr every other term from Sophmore year on helps alot! (outside of trans I believe digital are the highest paying co-ops going)

I don’t really know much about the master’s ID program. When I was there, we had a couple master’s students in our studio classes. The program seems very open ended and you can basically write your own ticket as to what you want to do there. Again, this is my very basic impression of what I saw out of the corner of my eye.

To the original poster, I would seriously consider visiting DAAP and the UC Campus. The entire campus has been undergoing a HUGE transformation over the past 10 years, and they are nearing the completion of their “master plan.” The campus has buildings from all the architectural heavyweights, Geahry, Graves, Eisemann, etc. and overall is pretty nice, considering it’s ‘urban’ environment.

And, as the previous poster mentioned, that fact that your daughter will be able to earn some decent bucks during co-op might help to offset the higher tuition costs for an out of state student. Just something to consider.

WE will look at UC for sure. I noticed that RIT in particular made co-ops optional for graphic design and new media design kids. I am wondering if that is because of a lack of co-ops? Anyone have info on this?

regarding co-ops:

at daap each individual design major has its own co-op advisor. that advisor’s sole job is to contact the pool of hundreds of industry contacts the university has to build a list of firms and companies in need of a UC intern. this process, in compairson to any other school in the country is very streamlined… is it perfect… no… but better than any other school.

the great thing about the co-op program at UC is the fact that there is this list of prospective employers for the student to send portfolios too but the student can also contact companies not on the list on thier own… often times turning into a new addition to the list later down the road.

I am Junior ID student, when i was a sophomore, the list was very helpful, just because its the best way for a young student to find employers. Now i tend to go on my own to give you an example i have interned at the following companies:

Lexmark
Ethicon Endo-Surgery
Design Continuum, Boston
Nike

I think that if your daughter can go to school at DAAP then she should. compared to the other schools on your list DAAP makes a very strong case.

Good Luck

RIT has an outstanding coop program for most majors, however they have just recently begun pushing coops for art majors. I’m not sure why they didn’t push them earlier. The lack of a formal/ structured coop program for art majors (anyone in the college of imaging arts and sciences which includes the school of design) doesn’t mean coops don’t exist. They will help you find them if you so desire, and a few students in my graduating class did get coops and did receive credit for them.

There is one downside for the art major doing a coop. Many of the classes are sequential and only offered during a particular quarter. Here is my (made up because I can’t remember specifics) example. The student is required to take ABC class in the winter quarter of their sophomore year, and ABC class is only offered during Winter quarter because of this. If the student gets a coop for winter quarter, they miss ABC class, which means they won’t be able to take the require DEF class in the spring.

You can usually work around this kind of thing, it just makes it a hassle. Also, it has been a few years since I’ve graduated, and the system might have changed. They were headed toward a more coop friendly program my senior year. I’m sorry I missed out on the changes.

When I went to RIT I had no problems getting co-ops… infact, most of my friends there didn’t have too much trouble either.

This cannot possibly be true. For each student, there is someone whose ONLY job is to find that person co-ops? I have heard great things about DAAP’s co-op program, but I don’t believe you on this.

I think you misread this. Each MAJOR has it’s own advisor, not each student. That would be a little costly, don’t you think?

Okay, I thought you meant “major” as in “student in the major.” This sounds a lot more reasonable.

Any other input?

I’ve been going to RIT for 5 years now…started off in engineering, and now I’m just finishing up my 3rd year in the ID program. I have lots of friends in the Graphic Design program and the New Media program. I’ve taken a few graphic design classes myself and the professors are really great, but you do have to know which ones to get.

I don’t know for sure, but I’ve heard from a few people that New Media majors are graphic designers and photographers that “couldn’t cut it” in those majors. BUT a friend of mine just graduated from New Media and she’s getting alot of interviews and will have no trouble finding a job. However, she is a work-a-holic in the most extreme way. So you might have to work harder to be a stand out in New Media to get a design job later.

As far as internships and Co-ops go. The co-op office at RIT is no help. I don’t care what anyone else says, they’re mostly concerned with engineering and sciences or whatever. I got a internship this summer for ID, but I did a lot of work on my own to get it. It’s not impossible, but it’s hard to do when RIT has such a rigorous schedule as it is.

In conclusion, the graphic program is great as far as the professors go. You’ll get to know each one, and they’re really helpful. But I’m not conviced that Rochester is a great place for design, and the school itself isn’t well connected as far as it’s relationships with other design firms and corporations. It is a great value for the price though, but just know that you have to be the kind of student to make your own opportunity there.

In my opinion if you get int RISD then go there. It’s one of the best schools for design (if not the best), their graduates are everywhere, and in the field of design those kind of connections can really help. Being closer to a major design hub like NYC, Boston, or San Francisco is a big help too cause then you have more of an opportunity to intern during the school year. And being in or near a major design city give you a ton of inspiration and influence.

I hoped this helped. Good luck.