Help point me in the right direction

Hey guys, this is my first post on this site, but I’ve been looking around and it seems that there are tons of constructive ideas flowing around here. And I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I am 16 years old and have been designing shoes for a few years now. I have gotten better recently, and I believe that some of my designs are worth a look at. I just don’t know where to start. I was hoping I could find someone to join forces with and start a business. I know I’m only 16, but as a collector of shoes, I believe I have the talent to put out quality, hot designs.

Also, If there aren’t any people looking to start a business, can someone point me in the direction of where to go next with my designs? It would be much appreciated.

If you’re interested, please pm me or leave your email address in here .

Thanks

Hey Platinum,
It’s good that you’re starting to think about the business side of things and also that you recognize that there IS value behind your ideas. Never lose that, because once you forget that and begin to undervalue your work and your ideas you get taken advantage of.

All that being said, given the fact that you’re young and probably do not have any experience with the shoe industry, I think trying to start a company right now is probably a little overly ambitious. There is a big difference between being able to draw a cool shoe, and collecting cool shoes, vs. being able to have investors pour their money into your ideas and trust that their investment will see a return. I think that rather than thinking about starting a business right now, post some of your footwear sketches up onto the Sketch-Fu thread, get some good feedback from other students and working professionals, start building your skill set and hopefully work towards getting some internship experience in the industry. Ideas are great and they are valuable but it’s more about the process, once you have a process that generates great ideas you’re golden.

I’m not saying that it is impossible for you to start a company, heck if a 13 year old can build a million dollar company bedazzling crocs, I’m sure you could start something. But the realist in me tells me that you would probably get a LOT further taking a more traditional route: post your work, build your skills, build relationships with people in the industry that will mentor you, receive criticism well and keep growing as a designer.

Good luck and keep working!

Thanks Choto

I will be posting some of my work in the Sketch-Fu section and hopefully i’ll recieve some feedback on how to improve my ideas.

Again, thank you for your response.