HELP!!!! plzzz...regarding finishes.

Hi there everyone,
i have finally managed to passout of design school and get into my final diploma project… I am with a known design house in india. here i have to come with concepts for a range of refrigerator and later other home appliances… I have been told “to experiment more with FINISHES apart from form” …

As far as finishes go i just know Chrome , gloss, Graphite,matt :frowning:

is there any why i can look around and know some more… i did see a few refrigerator and saw their finishes…i did get the point but i want to know more abt them…

Plz let me know if there are any links i can check or anything for that matter…

PLZZ HELP…

Check out this site, they have all kinds of cool finishes.

I like the paint that feels like rubber, its pretty cool. Good luck.

I’m not trying to pick a pissing contest here…

but if you graduated with a degree in design and you only know Four finishes ‘chrome, gloss, graphite, and matte’ – go ask for your money back, or you didn’t get your money’s worth
honestly, that’s like saying you only know four colors.
I’m just being blunt and real here for what its worth.

if you’re a designer you should have you eyes open every moment.

without turning my head one degree from the screen I am looking at-- I count roughly 25 different finishes and textures

go to a shopping mall, home decor store, auto store, outside, anywhere- start discovering new finishes or create your own

also- maybe your definition of ‘finishes’ is a bit off-
we all have seen that faux leather finish on refrigerators… why it was ever there, who knows. but, pay attention to texture as well. the options for texture, finish, and color are damn close to infinite

thanks for the link…
@ welden…thanks for the info… but the idea is the 25 finishes that u see in one go, can u name them exactly to what they are?.. thats where i am getting stuckkkk… thanks anyway for bieng blunt im gonna go back and ask for my money… :slight_smile:

I agree with Taylor, but I’ll still help you out: anodized aluminum is the perfect finish for a fridge, and as far as I know, it hasn’t been done. Or at least it hasn’t been done to death like stainless and piano black, both of which spend their whole lives covered in fingerprints. I’ll give you an address to send the royalty checks.

thanks a lot guys … this really helped me open up. ( i still have 6 months to go before i finish design school) u guys are surely gonna have ur names in the credits list…

i was checkin out T3 and kept in mind some of the finishes used in products there. But while going through them what i could notice was that…the finishes mainly seemed like

Brushed steel, chrome, rubber paint, mat and matte finishes, and there was a sparkle diffrence in some of the metallic finishes…

I also checked out the Side by side door refrierators, and noticed the anodized and the sparkle finishes…

I think this is a OK amount of learning keeping in mind 16hrs plus 7 hrs of sleep…

PLzzz add on sum more…

Let me know if i am making sense and blast me if im wrong…

You also have 1000s of different textures available for plastic components. In the footwear industry our injection mould suppliers have texture books where we can select almost any finish you want to be applied to a mould. I guess this should be available in other industries too? Maybe its for flexible components.

T