Help on designing a cardboard boat

In our physics class we are to build a cardboard boat out of several cardboard boxes and stuct tape.
We are separated into pairs and our boat must take us and our partners over a lake.
Unfortunately, I am with a huge guy who weighted 100 kg, and we don’t get extra materials than other groups do.
Is there any way to design a boat that carries more weight and floats more staty in the water?
And does anyone know how to calculate the buoyancy?
My partner and I are weighted 100 and 65 kg.
Please help me or I might fail physics .and might not be able to go to college :open_mouth:
thanks a lot guys!

165 kilo of students displaces 165 kilos of water.

165 kilos equals 165 liters equals 165,000 cubic centimeters = 0.165 cubic meters.

One cardboard block 0.4x0.4x1.0 meters will float you both.

Thank you so much, I think you just saved my life (literally, or I’ll sink with the boat lol)
but can you explain to me how you get 0.4mX0.4mX1m from knowing 0.165m^3?
And also any ideas on how to design the boat?
Again thank you sosososososo much!!^^

Pleaze. Try to do the rest of the homework just with those
grey zells between your ears. Asking the internet is not
the answer to everything and even if it brings you into
college it won’t bring you through it.

(And I always hated maths, myself- which is the irony here, really.)

mo-i

Hi Shaw. Can you explain how mass = volume?

The metric system is based on water. 1:1

Just don’t forget to add Gravity…

here is a link that explains and spells it out for you.

http://i-lya.org/media/Power/Cardboard%20Boat%20Design%20Suggestions.pdf

Chevis W.

Dear all, I appreciate all your comments.
Chris I just realized the issue about gravity too, thanks for pointing that out.
Chevis thanks for your super helpful link.
And mo-i, thanks for your warning.
However it’s not like I just threw all my problem here without even thinking.
I’ve done researches, but if you were in MY class, you will realize that the knowledge you learn is somehow limited…
I don’t want to judge or blame anyone for this and maybe it’s my own fault.
I just think a design discussion forum would be a good place for me to seek help from professionals.
Anyways I’ll keep our words in mind and try to be a true problem-solver in college.
But this is just really urgent…that’s why I want to seek help from the professional people.
We only got 3 hrs to build our boat, and that 3 hours determine my future(wether i’ll be able to graduate or not).

Give that a little more thought…

That’s nothing a little bacon won’t fix… Or duct tape… :laughing:

Yes, there is.

And does anyone know how to calculate the buoyancy?

Yes.

[You’ll learn both of these things pretty quick after you have to swim back to shore, which is the real point of this exercise.]

The internet is the biggest and best tool today for homework. Now, I would say just getting the answer is going to get you nowhere but knowing how to research a question and finding the correct answer is education in itself. Like anything, it’s a fine line but I say use all your available tools to learn.

To hold 360lbs (the two of you PLUS the weight of the boat, you would need to displace 10000 cubic inches of water. That calculation there should get you started.

mo-i wrote:Pleaze. Try to do the rest of the homework just with those
grey zells between your ears. Asking the internet is not
the answer to everything and even if it brings you into
college it won’t bring you through it.

(And I always hated maths, myself- which is the irony here, really.)

mo-i

The internet is the biggest and best tool today for homework. Now, I would say just getting the answer is going to get you nowhere but knowing how to research a question and finding the correct answer is education in itself. Like anything, it’s a fine line but I say use all your available tools to learn.

I had no problem with him finding this board and asking the first question. But I had a problem when I got the
impression that the internet stopped him from rethinking the answers and from using a calculator himself.

I wouldn’t want to stress it, but I was a lazy student myself. Mostly doing the homework on the 20 min. Bus ride
to school when the other pupils listened to AC/DC on the recently invented walkman. This honed my presentation
skills early on, as I often had to make something out of nothing :wink:, but sometimes a little more earnest wouldn’t have
harmed the outcome of my education.

mo-i

Gosh, whom am I schooling here ?