HELP NEEDED PLEASE. What is the easiest way to international

Hi all,
I’m an in-house designer for a company that is using dealers to sells its products overseas in tons of different countries. I have printed materials on our products and need to get them translated in german, italian, japaneese, all kinds of different languages. I’m working to try and enable our reps to translate directly on the layouts we already have in place for our domestic flyers. Does anyone have any experience in doing something like this??? I was thinking about making PDFs that are editable in reader (which I think acrobat professional 7.0 can do) But I am really having some trouble getting my head around this. will the fonts translate, or will they be embedded or something… I have no idea. Any suggestions?

Make sure you leave about 20% extra space for text in your layouts… German, for instance, takes a lot more words to say the same thing.

We always did this for docs back when I was in Software development

thnaks for the tip, but I really need some sort of process to follow. what should I create when things are translated will they be altered when they return to my computer. Any resources I could consult for more information. That sort of thing

thnaks for the tip, but I really need some sort of process to follow. what should I create when things are translated will they be altered when they return to my computer. Any resources I could consult for more information. That sort of thing

This is a time value of money thing. Translation is cheap, your time probably is not.

http://ets.freetranslation.com/

I’d start there. Note that its not free, despite the name, but they offer free quotes for business services. Alternatively, post an ad on CraigsList for a translator. Ask for $50/document or such if its resonably small. Career services at the nearest university will find you a starving graduate student in any language school who will happily do some translation for you. Depending on your time constraints the last option is your best, as it is cheap and offers repeat services with minimal fuss.

Hope that was helpful.

Outstanding talent calls CADtalent.com home.

I have used a local company for translations. The EU is up to 11-13 languages required, 6 years ago it was only 5. The translators charge by length and # of languages. I found them through the yellowpages. The company uses Microsoft Word, they translate and then it is put into Illustrator or Quark.

If you can, do your materials without translations. This works pretty well for labels. Do a Google on CE label symbols and you will find specs on on standard symbols for things like part #, lot #, store at conditions, use by date, etc. Also, if it a proper name, it does not need to be translated. Activation Reagent needs to be translated 13 times but Johnson & Johnson Activation Reagent does not.