Help! I don't know what to submit for a portfolio

Hey all,
I’m applying to RMIT in Australia, but I don’t know what types of things they are interested in seeing in my portfolio. All they really say is 8 to 10 works. What is suggested for a college application portfolio? Renders? Observational pieces? 3D? Please help!

Thanks!
Dave

from the few portfolios that I’ve done (they were for USA undergraduate schools though), the colleges placed a big emphasis on observational pieces (each one required at least 3 or 4 if not more).

Something that documents a thought process. Not just the work itself, but what went into creating it? Where did the idea come from? Are there multiple iterations of it?

Check their website or call their admissions/portfolio department- there should be (very) specific guidelines.

Good luck!

How i built mine is asking myself and answering the following questions:

WHy do you want to be a Designer?
What would you create?
How do you create?
Where do you find inspiration?
How would what you are doing make the world or something better? Does it create value? Fun? comfort? meaning
What is wrong with how you did it? (Be your fiercest critic to make the design better)

Your portfolio is supposed to show what you are made of. It’s your voice.

Then i came up with a list of the things i’d create, there is inspiration everywhere in everyday life, or think of something that does not exist but you wish did and do it.
Research the topics.
Then choose a few of the designs to fully research and develop them.

This would be the content of your design.
Then i work on the materialization of what i thought, and presentation of it by sketching, rendering, 3D models, whatever works for you.

You can also include some of the concepts without fully developing them.

If you can find something you get excited feel enthusiasm and passion about it will add a lot to your work and will show. But also think of the users and how they would respond to your design.

That is how i did it. I hope it will help.
But look for what works for you.

Good Luck!

How i built mine is asking myself and answering the following questions:

WHy do you want to be a Designer?
What would you create?
How do you create?
Where do you find inspiration?
How would what you are doing make the world or something better? Does it create value? Fun? comfort? meaning
What is wrong with how you did it? (Be your fiercest critic to make the design better)

This is awesome.

If they don’t accept you based upon these criteria (assuming you’re half way good), you probably wouldn’t want to go to that university anyway.

Thanks!
Not necessarily. If i know its a good school I would still feel bad I don’t make it. At the stage of applying to a school, I feel humble because I know its a place that could sharpen me and make me better in what i am passionate about. And If i applied to a school it’s because I trust it.
But delays are not denials. And that should not stop someone.

I’d be like “Ooooh! so you think i am not good enough? Watch me!”
(joke)

I say just use the mind. And the thing is passion gives faith and confidence, and pushes you to make things better and people respond to that.
It’s like love, it moves you.