Help!! How should I list a non-design job on my resume?

So I did some searching on the forums but I haven’t been able to find an answer to my question. Should I list my current non-design job on my resume? And if so how?

It’s not related to my field of study or any jobs I am interested in but I feel it is still important work experience. I don’t however want it to be the first thing listed if I use the traditional reverse chronological layout. Any thoughts?

To give you an Idea of my work experience heres the quick list
-11/2005-Present: part time job during school (Trader Joe’s)
-6/2008-12/2008: design internship (product development firm)
-1/2008-5/2008: design internship (prototype shop)
-6/1998-8/2005: welder/fabricator

Marketing Representative :wink:

You can always separate out a section:

Relevant experience:

Design jobs go here

Other work experience;

Trader Joes.

Make sure to list the things that you got from the non-design job that the employer will care about (not that you know the Trader Joe’s line front to back… but like leadership or dealing with shit or something. make it sound fancy.)

I agree, even non-relevant work experience is good to show on a resume. It shows that you have a diverse background. I work at a bike shop 2 times a week for $9 an hour and have done so for 6 years, I still list it.

nike shop or the welding thing i could see being relevant and good to list. the Trader Joe’s (it’s a grocery shop, right?) not so much unless you were maybe a manager or something. I’d take that one off the list and keep all the others in normal reverse chronological order.

R

What if I’m a student and I have no design office experience, and I live in a country that has only a few product design consultancies that don’t offer anybody internships (i.e Ireland)?

Hey everyone, thanks for the input!

I have a much better Idea of how I’m going to layout my revised resume. Although I won’t list it first I still plan on including my work at Trader Joe’s. I was an order writer and was responsible for section layouts and product displays. I feel I learned a great deal about packaging, branding and even graphic design, so I guess it was a valuable experience.

ah, well in that case, yup, not a problem to include it. best of luck,

R

You should make sure to talk to the precise reasons why your including something like Trader Joe on a resume for a design job…and be prepared to explain if you get an interview. If you just list your responsibilities, you might come across in a completely different way. Make it obvious

I think it could make you look very interesting if you sell it the right way. Good luck!

Hey glad you asked because I have been gearing up to start looking for related design gigs to what I went to school for.
If possible any feedback would help, this is the breakdown;

2008-present-Post production film
2008-intern-well known design co
2008-2004-Wood shop monitor-school
2007-intern-woodshop-international arts center
2006-design assistant-intern-well known generic furniture design co

*tried my best to be semi-discreet about the places I’ve worked.

so I guess my question is this, there is a bit of a pattern where I’ve been around a lot of furniture/industrial design w/r/t my work experience but then at 2008 I took a sharp turn and landed a gig in something that is design related but it is not totally object-design related. What would be a good way to frame this as I have learned a lot about photoshop, after effects, omnigraffle, final cut pro (when I say a lot I mean enough to be comfortable to use but not in a total production sense, I would need more time to get to that point.) and the usual kit of office related programs (excel, word, etc)? My current job is really a “one of these things is NOT like the other” sort of a thing and I’m having a bit of a time trying to figure out to make it all fit.

If I have pitched my services to a company, and designed items for it, should I say that I was working for the company or working as a freelancer? Is this kind of experience more or less valued than working for a company’s own design department?