ItÂ´s a tandem 2 seat light helicopter for transport, instruction and patrolling. The first prototipe is already in flight.
I was responsible for the exterior and cockpit design, and I also collaborated on the mechanisms design and 3d modelling.
Looks good and you’ve already saved so much of money by using flattened surfaces and glass! I was wondering how important it is to reduce the blind spot in case of helicopters. It seems that your narrow front windshield with closely placed a-pillars would cause problem.
Of course, economy was the other important factor !
Yes, reducing the blind spot is very important in helicopters. And tests pilots said that we reached a very wide vision angle.
Anyway the tendency in military helicopters is to reduce transparent surfaces and heading for electronic vision.
In this prototipe in particular we are using the basic instruments. No thermal or night vision by now.
I attached here two more photos from the flight tests with a closer look of the cockpit.
Yeah, I would like to go further with the skids but we opted for something more conventional considering all the fuctional aspects. This solution has proved to work fine in previous models.
And the combination between the sharp edges and the curved graphics… well, you got a point there.
I intentionally tried to “soften” the sharp edges using that curved strips. You know everybody here was not sure about those straights lines.
And when we finally placed the graphics everybody went “Ahhhh”
I attached here a picture from a HueyII helicopter. Our client asked us to use those graphics. The one I used is something like a redesign from this one.
I also attached a photo where you can see the integration between the body lines and the graphics. I hope IÂ´m not the only one that sees that integration…
For the exterior body and interior I used 3dsmax editable poly. ItÂ´s a great tool for the kind of surfaces I was creating.
Working with vertices is easy and fast. And very intuitive too.
I had main mechanisms modelled in rhino and I exported and used that as a reference for modelling the body and interior in max.
Once I had the “skin” ready I exported it again to rhino and added thinckness, cutted doors, etc.
I also used rhino for printing 1:1 profiles for the real model.
It was a great training.
Engineers in the company are using Catia and I had to learn it so we could collaborate closer (I modelled and collaborated in the mechanical parts design too).
And I found Catia is so wide !!
It has the specific tools for creating each stage of the entire product.
So I did this project combining rhino and max but today IÂ´m fully working in Catia.