Heeeeellllllp PLEASE! BSc or BA

I am new to CORE and would appreciate help with the following:

I have just finished my first year doing Product Design at a Univeristy in the UK and now have the option of deciding which course tiltle i will finish with in another three years. I am trying to determine which one will provide me with the skills most sought after by employers. There are 2 options

1. BA Creative Product Design which is focused primarily toward the interface between the product and the user. Areas covered inlclude styling aestetics, ergonomics and semantics and is more indutrial design based.

2. BSc Product Design which focuses on applying good engineering practice in the use of materials, manufacturability and mechanical function to the design of a moderately complex, multi-component producton. Things like stress, brittle fracture, creep, corrosion and fatigue are covered.

Both courses cover ideation, concept sketching, perspective drawing, rendering (marker), model making, 3D Modeling (Solidworks, 3DS Max, Pro-E) and other fundamental things, its just that ive read alot of whats been said on this site and i still cant make my mind up!!!

Your help would be most grateful as i have to decide by Monday.

Just my 2 cents but from what you have written, it seems to me like your options are to either…

get a B.A and BE an industrial designer or…get a B.Sc and work WITH the industrial designers. I think they are two different things, both important to employers but nevertheless, two different jobs and its ok to choose to be one and not the other. However which ever you choose, make sure you do what it takes to develop top notch skills. Thats what employers are looking for.

Look at the outlines for the two programs you have and decide which has content you are sincerely more interested in pursuing.

Thanks alot for your comments they are most welcome.

But as either course covers all the design fundamentals as i said in the beggining, does that not mean in a product design job, i would not be involved in any of the aestetics just because my degree is a BSc and is more technicaly orientated?? or would it be more developmental?? if this is the case i would rather have a BSc because i do like the technical aspects of design probably more than how something looks.

any comments please

BS = More respect for your degree; especially outside of ID.

go with what interests you the most and not what you THINK is going to get you a job because it will just that “a job” and not work you actually enjoy. If you are more mechanically inclined, then study that. You will be surrounded by people who may be more invovled in the aesthetics but who knows, in time the work you do may expand to incorporate more of that.

I have a B.Sc and and M.F.A. I am interested in both sides of things so took the time to get both degrees. That path is not for everyone so if you can make up your mind at the beginning do that. GET YOUR DEGREE IN WHAT YOU ARE INTERESTED IN.

Its one thing to take the advice of strangers but I see no value is learning something you are not particularly interested in because you think that is what the job market is looking for. Times change and by the time you graduate who knows what will be “hot”. Study what you care about and be confident in your abilities. I think its the best way to ensure your success for the future.

There are a lot of jobs that fall under the unbrella of product design so it could be that you are a product designer who is more involved in the technical aspect of things. They would not bar you from designing anything just becuse you have a B.Sc. Thats not how it works. I think your portfolio will play a role in how your skills and training are interpreted. If your portfolio shows a strong sketching and styling ability and less technical expertise then you’ll be viewed and the guy with the B.A. If you show work that is more focused on the technical side of things with a strong understanding of the mechanics and materials etc, then you’ll be viewed as the guy with the B.S.

Ideally, you want to be the technical guy with killer sketching skills. That way, you cover all the bases. So if I had to pick, I’d go for the B.S and make sure the drawing/sketching/form development skills are on point.

Hi its the original guest who posted.

Thanks to everyone, i think my mind is made up now as i specifically agree with the post before this one. Having strong technical knowledge combined with practised sketching and rendering will give me the best all round chance in this massively competitive industry.

Respect to Core77 for being such a good place to gain further knowlede and insight.