Heat generation

Hi everyone i’m doing a project at the moment in which the product needs to expell heat (around 60+ degrees C) does anyone know of any new technologies or ways of generating heat preferably without the need for electricity? Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks :smiley:

Fire (could use propane gas or kerosine as a fuel), friction, exothermic chemical reaction (think about the hand and foot warming packs for skiing), bio generation (a little matrix like…), the sun.

I hope that is a start…basically heat is all around us and energy in any form (not just electricity) can be “converted” to heat (although these conversion processes have varying levels of efficency).

Also, your environment for generating and mantaining this heat will be extremely important and will likely drive your choice of heat generation.

What for?

You can’t exactly use a butane torch for a car seat warmer.

its for a portable device to melt a small amount of snow. Yeah i’ve been looking into exothermic reactions and they look like a pretty good route to go down such as you find in hot gel packs etc.

I was just thinking it could be good to try and have an innovative way of generating heat.

What if you focused light through a lens on the snow (like when kids “fry” ants using a magnifying glass), then the user would not need to carry “fuel” as long as it is ok for this thing not to work at night or during cloudy days…

breath? how small is the small amount of snow?

In order to make heat you need to have a power source of some kind - chemical and electrical have already been discussed…

How about mechanical? Think of those wind-up radios and flash-lights…
your wind-up energy could be channeled through to a resistor to create heat instead of electricity? (I’m no physisist though… just a thought)

Could be a simple product -and there is also environmental aspect.

need to know how many btu’s your talking about, the conversions are easy just google them.

thanks a lot for the feedback everyone. always good to get other opinions. I think i’m going to use an exothermic reaction - sodium acetate (supersaturated) and swat up on insulation and ways of focussing and concentrating the heat.

The device is aimed at high altitude climbers - during the day they generally only sip at small quantities of water so the device would only need to melt enough snow for a few mouthfulls each time.

Anyway i’ll probably be asking about insulation techniques soon once i’ve ploughed through my ‘fundamentals of heat transfer’ book. haha.

thanks again

snow takes up ten times more area than water, so you’d have to melt a lot of snow for a little bit of water.

this is a good idea especially because eating snow by itself reduces body temperature and increases dehydration…i’m sure climbers would appreciate a product like this.

i just noticed that i’m replying to a month old topic…o well.

just make sure you include a warning to avoid the “yellow” (pee) snow. :wink:

also may want to consider some type of filter. not sure if snow is the cleanest to drink given environmental particulates, dirt, etc.

R

vortex tube.

Picture a referee’s whistle, the scroll body greatly elongated, plus a few more simple parts. Blow in and cold air -50°C out one end, hot air +200°C out the other.

I wonder if you could use the heat from compression (like a bicycle pump) to heat the snow. Then you wouldn’t need to bring fuel. You might be able to get a hit of low altitude air also.