Head Hunters

WHO ARE THE REALLY GOOD DESIGN HEAD HUNTERS - AROUND THE COUNTRY?
DO THEY FULLY EVALUATE CANDIDATES OR ACT AS “MEAT MERCHANTS”. IN THE AGE OF INTERNET MASS MONSTERING DO THEY HAVE A SIGNIFICANT ROLE ANYMORE?

There are some large corporate groups like Aquent and Right Brain Recruiting but I would avoid them. Look for someone smaller and in the specific market that you are looking for, say furniture design in Chicago. That makes it much easier.

You also need to make sure that the person understands what you really do. ID is something that tends to allude a lot of headhunters and recruiters. They will keep trying to get you engineering jobs or something else if they don’t really know what ID is.

I think most headhunters work for their paying clients and are only interested in applicants whose credentials strick at the moment of immediate need. Otherwise it seems that sending credentials to them are like entering a black hole – no acknowledgement of materials, no answering or returning of phone calls, no suggestions for improving portfolio materials, no critique of work quality or comment about potentials… or even suggestions to change fields immediately. This is quite different than it was a few years ago.

I think that part of this is the ease of sending credentials on internet so that the quantity of it is overwhelming. But automatic response acknowledging receipt would be polite, and follow-up would be even nicer.

Wert, RGA, RitaSue Siegel Resources, Right Brain, all on line, but all claiming to be staffed by caring, design-expert people, are difficult to get response from, perhaps because most who apply are not superstars, and that a huge number of applications arrive daily.

Monster, Career Builders, Hot Gigs, and the other on-line job boards are quite indiscriminate, and (along with head hunters who the applicant hires) don’t have a clue about the industrial, graphic etc. design professions, and consultants are automatically pegged as IT (as are designers and architects much of the time). It’s truly a tech world out there.

Coroflot, IDSA, DMI are fairly design specific, but only act as posting sites. However when adds are answered, there is usually an acknowledgement of application receipt and often a follow-up saying “no thanks” or “let’s talk”.

Word of mouth and networking almost always get some sort of response once the “fix” is in, and seems, by far, the best way for us designers to get jobs both as positions and as consultancies.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Maybe some head hunters or recruiters should comment on this stuff.

lots of “head hunters” int he design field…

I don’t know if this was a strange case, but
I was contacted out of nowhere by a woman
(head hunter) who wanted me to start doing
product production instead of designing.

At first being hungry for a job I took a bite,
then later realized I was being squeezed
to fill a position.

Either way- It left me confused as well. :confused:

What’s the website for Right BRain.