Have your dreams been fullfield?

I ask this because everyone has dreams of what it be like after you graduated college. Many of us had dreams of maybe designing movie posters (graphic Design) or something as exciting before we signed up in college.

Now that many of us are in the real world what did you think of it.

1. Any regrets?

2. Has your perspective change of what you once thought?

3. Do you think you will reach your goals or dreams that you once envisioned?

4. Has there been anything that suprises you in the real world that you did not know back then?

Your thoughts.

hmmm thats a really good question, im interested in seeing some replies.

I cant say much, I barely just graduated from college and am interning till december. Ill get back to you once i get a real job.

Yes and No.

My dreams of making a living drawing and dreaming up new designs and products has come true.

My dreams of walking into a store and seeing something that once was only a vision in my head has come true.

My dreams of meeting well known CEO’s and having them take my suggestions and opinions seriously has come true.

However I have also had to come to grips with the fact that most companies see design as an unnessisary expense, and are only interested in “how much is this going to cost me!”.

Most companies view ID as a low-class over-paid draftsman, or artist wanna-be that flunked out of engineering school.

And that selling design services is like selling ice to polar bears, well for the most part.

I can honestly its good to be me. After graduation, i waited…and waited…and waited and 3 years later, I got the job. Its a great gig and worth the wait. I smile when I look at my business card and read “My name, Industrial Designer” on it. It was a big dream for me. Especially coming from a culture where design is not a profession or something that anyone studies let alone tries to make a career of…I have made it and it feels VERY GOOD. My bosses are wonderful people who have high expectations of me. Not everyone is that lucky. They put me to work the day I arrived and my first product is in the works…a complete product and the day it goes on sale, I’ll be first in line to buy it…but only so I can give it to my parents. My small way of saying thanks for the support!! :slight_smile:

For those of you still waiting for it to happen…dont give up! When it happens you’ll be glad you hung in there :slight_smile:

1. Any regrets?

Nope, no regrets.

1. Has your perspective change of what you once thought?

Sure, priority changes over time.

1. Do you think you will reach your goals or dreams that you once envisioned?

Winning design awards used to be very important but not so much any more.

1. Has there been anything that suprises you in the real world that you did not know back then?

Yeah, blue LEDs cost way too much :frowning: