hasbro job cuts

pretty darn cold doing this around the holidays.

Total standard issue for Hasbro, they do this every couple of years it seems…unfortunate.

i noticed!

do you know which other manufacturers have a tendency to do the same thing?

Mattel is just as bad if not worse. Its actually a tough decision when to let people go-- before or after Christmas. I think I would rather know before I spent all that money on Christmas gifts.

Mattel might due their lay offs just after the 1st of the year.

Hasbro closed down Galoob Toys a few years back after buying the company and the entire company was gone just like that. Lay-off galore. That is corporate life for you. You’re just another cog in the big wheel and expendable.

That’s not true of every company, cultures differ greatly. In some companies designers have direct contact with presidents of the company and a designer getting laid off is rare, in others design is a mere function and you sit in the basement with a hundred other designers and sometimes the axe falls, and in others their are only two industrial designers to design an entire companies portfolio of product, but tons of marketing and engineering, so they wouldnever be let go, but they also have a tough job.

It is really hard to tell from the outside. I only knew about Hasbro because I have friends there. I also used to do a lot of consulting for them through a firm I used to work for. We’d go up for a meeting and be like hey is Jim around? Nah, he got laid off last week along with 50 other people, that’s why we hired you guys for this project… not exactly the motivator you where looking for when starting a big project.

Ka-razy, but some companies figure out how to work in odd ways.

Lesson:: always keep up on your skills. Don’t make your skill set specific to the place you currently work.

And Mattel did almost the same thing with Tyco.

Starting in the 80’s all the big toy companies would buy the smaller ones. Sometimes there would be layoffs, other times they would leave the company alone and sometimes they would do a combination of both.

Another thing they do is when they need help they hire like crazy, then when things get tight or slow they start letting people go… usually the older workers. Mattel has a reputation of doing this throughout the 90’s. Not sure what Hasbro’s process is.

[quote=“yo”]That’s not true of every company, cultures differ greatly. In some companies designers have direct contact with presidents of the company and a designer getting laid off is rare, in others design is a mere function and you sit in the basement with a hundred other designers and sometimes the axe falls, and in others their are only two industrial designers to design an entire companies portfolio of product, but tons of marketing and engineering, so they wouldnever be let go, but they also have a tough job.

It is really hard to tell from the outside. I only knew about Hasbro because I have friends there. I also used to do a lot of consulting for them through a firm I used to work for. We’d go up for a meeting and be like hey is Jim around? Nah, he got laid off last week along with 50 other people, that’s why we hired you guys for this project… not exactly the motivator you where looking for when starting a big project.

Ka-razy, but some companies figure out how to work in odd ways.

Lesson:: always keep up on your skills. Don’t make your skill set specific to the place you currently work.[/quote]

i agree yo.

i’ve worked for both huge-ass corporate behemoths to smaller-big companies, and i prefer the smaller ones as i don’t like feeling like a pawn. but i still do contractual work for larger corporations because a lot of the ones i work with like to outsource the work.

reading about the likes of hasbro and the like just irks me.

this is design_girl, btw :slight_smile:

time to check in on old friend i guess. hope he’s ok.

geez. hope your friend is okay too.

Anybody know if this affected their design staff?