Has the narrative on urban transportation become obsolete?

Hankook Tire has a long standing relationship with the U of Cincinnati’s design program. Given the current exodus from urban centers due to the Covid-19 virus, do we now need to rethink transportation again for the future 2040 and beyond? There are many ideas here in this concept Tech and Tread that are well obsoleted vis a vis Covid and urban transport…0) The morning commute has been upended and likely to not return to previous behaviors, 1) Vacant shopping malls now becoming farms instead of parking garages???, 2) Vertical farming has been proven ad nauseum to be non-productive, 3) Lego as a design platform to build upon has become associated with a generation that has been replaced with another that does not share the same experience…

Seeing as cruise ships are sold out for next summer, I doubt we’ll have problems getting people to commute again. Perhaps not as fervently as before. Personally, I love working from home now and I was staunchly against it before. However, I’m anxious to take the train downtown again.

I believe Vertical Farming is a concept that a lot of people would reinforce it in the future until it becomes 100% feasible. A lot of restaurants in NYC got their supplies from Vertical Farms: Fresh food always have better taste.

For the future of transportation, Mr-914 has an interesting point to add to the equation. With 5G in the corner and new digital tools for working from home… How much traffic in general is going to drop if there is no need to mandatory traveling from home to work?

An for the render you kindly attach, the old ratio of weight / power is going to be there. Doesn’t matter if the platform is electrified or not. The investors are going to check how much money does it cost them to develop a movable farm versus another kind of farm either vertical, in a greenhouse or in open fields.

But for the Design community this is a very interesting question. If we take into account brands like Volvo, Daimler and other stakeholders are used to put a cap into their budgets in developing urban vehicles, is going to be a wild ride for them if someone came with another idea like the one you’are posting. Thanks for sharing it.

I think we are going to see a digital transformation in mobility coming soon.
The old industrial push has been firmly rooted into our systems; when you are 18 (or 16 overseas) it is time to get your first car. Then you go out with it as much as you can and build a life as a more independent individual blabla. With smart mobility also people will get smarter; when and where do you need a car, will you buy or lease, and can we build it as compact as possible with you still liking it. There will be a shift in what is accepted as being ‘my car’. And with a configurable, modular system, the entire concept of ‘my car’ simply fades out - the mobility solution adapts to the moment.

And I do believe in modular systems and that Lego was an early precursor of how technology will manifest itself. Things are quickly becoming configurable, adaptable, evolvable, cyclical. After all, Lego hasn’t decreased much in popularity with the current generation, at least not in my experience.