Has anyone had experience with the freelancers union?

I’m currently living in New York freelancing in design. I need health insurance and other benefits and wanted to know if anyone had an opinion about the freelancers union 'Working Today"? :confused:

If not the freelancers union what do most freelancers do for insurance?

Lucky rabbits foot in the back pocket!. gotta fix that situation now though, over 30, body’s starting to act funny now.

What are your options?

The rates on the site are actually pretty good – you won’t find anything cheaper in NYC. I had a similar deal with a different organization and they also used HIP. The rates were actually higher than these.

Back then (97-2000) HIP SUCKED. The waits for treatment were astounding. It me three months to get a fairly common form of cancer diagnosed (3 weeks for an x-ray, 3 weeks after that for the lab report, three weeks to see a surgeon…). Once I got the diagnoses they told me it would be 5 weeks before I could see a surgeon, meanwhile I could literal watch as a tumour grew in my chest and another one formed on my neck (I’m not kidding). Yes, kids, money really does matter, and HIP is where the poor folks went for health care…

Torwards the end HIP improved – no more referals and long waits. You would probably be fine with them today.

A lot of people rely on their spouse’s insurance…

I can’t say I’ve ever made much use of my insurance, but I have some coverage for emergency stuff through the Allianace for Affordable Services. There’s not really a great, affordable solution for individual healthcare, but that’s the best I’ve found so far…

I’m sure there are other groups that can facilitate similar coverage: you pay to be a member of an organization, and thus you’re actually getting an approximated group healthcare rate…

Thanks for the info Nate and IanVV, thats very helpful, anyone else?