Hard plastic case construction

Hello All,

I have a few questions on the process of plastic cases…

1. Are cases like the Pelicanâ„¢ Brand thermo/Vacuum-formed? If not are they molded or injected?

2. Regarding cases that are thinner than the Pelicanâ„¢ style cases; is the hardware riveted on?

3. Do you know of any manufacturer that uses thermo/vacuum-forming for cases?

4. Can someone point me in the right direction to learn about compression molding?

Thanks,

Mike

1. Are cases like the Pelicanâ„¢ Brand thermo/Vacuum-formed? If not are they molded or injected?

Answer: Injection molded polycarbonate

1. Regarding cases that are thinner than the Pelicanâ„¢ style cases; is the hardware riveted on?

Answer: What cases? Most Pelican cases have integral hardware that’s molded in polycarbonate with steel hinge pins.

1. Do you know of any manufacturer that uses thermo/vacuum-forming for cases?

Answer: Maybe some of the large roof-top cases??

1. Can someone point me in the right direction to learn about compression molding?

Answer: Sorry - I’m an injection molding guy.

Well, Crap. Thank you for the Down-izzle on Peli.

All of Pelican’s competitor’s - Strong, Serpac, etc. - injection mold their cases in polypropylene. Andiamo used to, maybe still do, mold really cool hard shell cases in Noryl.

Some of the cheaper cases do rivet on hardware. Generally not recommeded as the installation force can easily crack the plastic wall.

Compression molding: a two part male-female die. Slug of material is placed into the open die, heated and closed, forcing the material to fill the cavity. Just about all rubber products are compression molded.