Gun Design

Then perhaps you can enjoy the air rifles pictured above for their intended use; paper target shooting.

Or not… . . honestly, I don’t care.

You are not cramping my style at all. But when you marginalize other people’s interests with a nebulous, inarticulate comment like, “I’m going to be sick” I really don’t see how you could expect anything other than a sarcastic response.

Mia culpa.

Not a gun guy myself, but I appreciate them as objects, and am pretty awed by their precision… that Anschütz Model 8002 in wood is beautiful.

Ya know, I’m not a “gun guy” either. Not really. I grew up in the city, and have only hunted rabbits once (which was enough for me). My dad had his fill of firearms during what he called his three year “camping trip” through Europe and didn’t want anything to do with them after that. I got into the skeet /trap shooting thing about two years ago, quite by accident. Turns out I like it. I get to have some fun, make a lot of noise, and nothing dies.

The precision involved in fabricating these match rifles; the design, ergonomics, machine work, wood work, is remarkable. The adjustability to individual ergonomics is very interesting to me.

Did you check out the extreme close-up shots of the Feinwerkbau?

The rifles used in Olympic Biathlon are .22cal. LR (long rifle); another interesting example(s) of specialized firearm design. I’ll post a few later.

I could get into it. I tried skeet shooting as a teen and liked it, and while I was at Evo Design we did a pretty big project for Smith and Wesson and I got to shoot a huge array of firearms at their range… turns out I’m pretty awesome at it… it is a bit scary though, and a bit of an expensive hobby… I could see getting back into it though at some point. I got to fire about 30 different 9mm’s in a day at S&W and it was cool to feel the differences between them, how they felt and functioned.

Did you all have anything to do with the 1911 update, or M&P products?

Don’t tell me if you’d have to kill me. … . . :sunglasses:

We did a lot of more forward conceptual stuff for them involving some new technologies I can’t write about… but the front of that MP looks familiar… we were exploring some more form work like this. It was years ago…

I said case closed and i wouldn’t talk about it anymore.

Saying i’m feeling sick isn’t nebulous. Would you have liked it better if I started lecturing you, or maybe more if just didn’t participate at all.

I said those few words because i didn’t want to start a rant.
I was not saying the personal agenda of the people participating in the topic is to kill. Not like you are saying "High explosive, Wow!: “what a cool bullet, someday it’s gonna blow a deer or someone’s brain”, not to say “Fun! let’s go shoot rabbits”

I understand someone being interested in the mechanic or the design. Or developing the skill of aiming. I get it.

By writing “pluuuuuze don’t start with the anti gun thing” ,
the tone was like don’t rain on my parade, or worse that me or anyone not liking gun is nonsense. I think liking guns is being at the very least shortsighted or blind to what they really are. I know self-defense is important, but if the number of guns was less the world would be a better place.

That said, I will not talk about it again, and not as because i want to have the last word. I really didn’t mean to offend you.

With all due respect MoNo, your comment was nebulous in that, as defined by Webster, it was indistinct and vague.

Your meaning, however, was not. I am sure that you were aware that your original comment was leading, and inflammatory; why else would you make such an irrelevant comment? You obviously share no enthusiasm for anything under discussion in this thread, and rather than simply state that “in the open” you chose an allusive approach. I merely called you on it. Call a spade, a spade MoNo.

I think liking guns is being at the very least shortsighted or blind to what they really are. I know self-defense is important, but if the number of guns was less the world would be a better place.

See how easy that was? You are entitled to not like “guns”, and voice that opinion to the world.

But Core is not a “personal politics” based website; it is about “design”. I, personally, feel that there are far too many automobiles on the planet (they are incredibly redundant, waste resources, and kill thousands of people every year) but I’m not going to interject those comments when discussing “the mechanic [sic] or the design” of automobiles.

Can you two (LMO / Mono) at least agree that you like this???..

Life’s too short,
GURU
pink_gun_bikini_gun_3DaSE9BWonve.jpg

On a serious note…

soldiertechcorner2cg8.jpg
gunjj9.jpg

i dunno
I is a girl

Can you two (LMO / Mono) at least agree that you like this???..

i dunno
I is a girl

What! Girls can’t like… . guns? THAT was smart-assed. (but I had to say it…) My bad MoNo.

But on a serious note … . I’m more of a leg kind of guy, but maybe… … purple can work under the right circumstances. :wink:

Oooooh you better shut up!
This is the most powerful gun in the world.
Guru and you better shuuuut up!

Smart ass? mmmmhhhh
I don’t know purple… but what i heard is
The thing is the size of the gun is inversely proportional to the … guy

[/b]

. … . you know my wife?

yo, I was looking for an image of a Finnish built Valmet Lion Champion; .22 cal. Olympic “3-position” target rifle (Standing, Prone, Kneeling). The Lion was the direct ancestor of every “ergonomic” rifle built to today.

This is the only image I found. The Finnish Lion Small-bore target Rifle

The inverted “Y” is the palm rest for off-hand shooting (standing position); it could be moved fore and aft in a channel to allow for proper position (preferably with your elbow locked against the your ribs). The palm rest was removed, and the hooked buttplate replaced with an adjustable buttplate for use in the prone position.

Here’s the unexpected bit; Victor Papanek introduced me to his Lion in 1969.

Playing to design guns is quite interesting because of the shape, materials, ergonomics, etc and I understand this topic.

Few years ago, I had 2 projects at the same time:

• a 30mm cannon , 2500 rounds/min for patrol boat. This was full of high technology, really exciting, joystick, trim control.etc
  • Some equipments for Glock

I had a neutralized Glock on my desk to develop products around. After few days working on this project, I had been amazed by my coworker’s behavior when they came into my desk room. They wanted to touch the glock, to hold it, to play with it. They couldn’t resist touching it! Without asking me before, but “Please don’t play with my project”. Guns are so magnetic. Something else amazing was the client reactions during the project presentation. You should have seen his shiny eyes when looking at the pictures and if you could have listened to the terms he used: sexy, aggressive, killer ….

I understood that weapon are not design to protect people but design to be sold and as many as possible at some military shows. But first of all, what is wrong with weapons is not the product by itself but people’s behavior and that they consider guns as toys.

It’s never too late to wonder what‘ll your reaction if you have to design guns. I didn’t see any objection before I faced this situation. There is nothing politics to think about that but only a deep question of design ethics. Thanks’ for posting this topic even if the purpose was not to talk about ethics.

For the ones who like mechanism, materials, ergonomics… and so on……… There are some cool products as mountain bike, watch, and exoskeleton. For sport, biathlon or archery (sorry, not sure of this word) are good for self control, breathing control, precision, sensations…. Do you need bullets?

I don’t think that Raymond Loewy had ever asked himself about ethics, he only cared about his overinflated ego.
Do you think that Dieter Rams could have designed a weapon?

Sorry to be the spoilsport

Why have I not seen that episode before?!

But yes, there is something about them that is very magnetic. There’s a similar thing with knives also. I think there’s a nice blend of function and aesthetics. When I was designing my lighting clamp accessory, I showed some of the 3-d renderings to my students to show presentation quality images. I didn’t let them know what it was for in any way but a few instantly knew that it was for a gun. There’s just a certain vocabulary that gets conveyed with something that’s very mechanical and who’s main purpose is to channel a lot of energy in one direction while being friendly to the user.
You see it with knives too, with the ergonomic handles contrasting with the stark, clean edges of the blade, it’s very yin/yang-ish.

Those are amazing LMO… they look soo purposeful.

Another really interesting rifle is the G11 by Heckler & Koch. It fires caseless ammunition - no metal shell to eject once fired. Saves weight and space by embedding the bullet into a block of propellant. All that, and it looks a lot like the colonial marines pulse rifles from Aliens

Ethically, I think designing weapons does not enable people to commit crimes. Even military weaponry can be used for peacekeeping, or at least as a deterrent against being attacked. Some types seem outright barbaric though, even with a nice design. You guys remember this video about landmine designers?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTlUHj1DGOA

Travisimo,

The G11 by Heckler & Koch looks like a weapon straight out of an 80’s anime movie. The caseless ammunition is an inventive solution to the weight problem. AWESOME!

is this for sale to the public or is it just a proto?

GURU